youtube volume in ie metro

username55

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
This is kinda bugging me. Its insanely hard for me to change the volume on YouTube in the metro ie app.

It seems like I have to hold the volume icon down with one finger and the fit another right next to it to drag the sliders. Is there a better way that I'm not seeing?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
This is kinda bugging me. Its insanely hard for me to change the volume on YouTube in the metro ie app.

It seems like I have to hold the volume icon down with one finger and the fit another right next to it to drag the sliders. Is there a better way that I'm not seeing?

Use the volume buttons on the phone?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
So set the volume of YouTube to max, and just use the global volume for everything else like most people do on any system they use.
If you have a keyboard use the up and down arrow keys.

username55

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I shouldn't need a workaround for this.. A

I often have more than one application playing sound and need to adjust volume independently

This is why people prefer iPads. The user experience on this thing is buggy and littered with the need for workarounds.

In any other UI you click the volume icon once, it opens the volume slider, and you slide the volume. That works extremely well and is very intuitive. Why would you be in such a hurry to excuse this ineptitude. Unless I'm missing something this is a pretty major flaw.

I want this to be great product more than anyone but letting Microsoft neglect the user experience by being blindly ok with workarounds is lame.

Last edited:

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry, but what you are asking is impossible unless Microsoft makes it's own plug-in, with it's own set of OS API for volume control, and provide you with 2 volume controls on the device, one for global, and the other for the application you are in. That will be a huge mess in usability.

Flash also does not exists on the iPad, and the iPad does not provide this. Also the iPad has no physical volume button.

What you are asking is a product that can read your mind in trying to do what you want to do. We are not there yet.
Much like my hammer won't hammer in the right nail, properly, for me automatically, it would be one amazing hammer, but we are not there yet.

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
This may not be relevant, but I have noticed a volume discrepancy with Slacker (Metro/Modern App). I'll start the app and listen to music at a set volume and when I minimize the app, the volume decreases. If the system's volume is up around 50% the app's volume doesn't change when minimized. I wonder if Metro/Modern apps have some sort of volume override when in use, and when off-screen it reverts to system level controls. iTunes and FireFox do NOT have this problem for me as they are not Metro/Modern apps. I'll investigate more this evening and update the post with my findings.

~Ex

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh that.. that is because you have a program that runs that says "I need the microphone, I am a communicating device, and listening now". Now if you are not doing this, then this is simply a bug in the software or a spying software.
So, Windows reduces the sound by 80% or 50%, based on your settings.

To disable this, open the Sound panel in the Control Panel (Start > type: Sound > select: Sound).
Go to the 'Communications' tab, and select the option: 'Do nothing'. Click on Apply.
(you can also have it completely mute the sound)

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Mine is currently set to "Do Nothing." It was the first thing I checked. It happens if I just alt tab back out of the app. Even if I am just sitting on the desktop with no other programs running.

~Ex

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234