So, been about 2 months and is the SP2 ready for prime time yet?

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've been watching the reports on the Surface Pro 2 since just before it was released and ever since and sounds like there might still be some issues to get cleaned up. I am very interested in this product to replace my work desktop using the docking station and then having a nice touch screen available. I was excited because this would give me basically 3 products in one: desktop, laptop, and tablet. Is it still too early to get an accurate verdict on the Surface Pro 2 from a work standpoint? Seems like there are numerous issues still out there and little glitches. I am hoping that by some time in January or February that most of the glitches will be gone and I won't have an "experimental" product for my main work computer. I need something very reliable. So, if anyone is using the SP2 as their main work computer, I would appreciate your thoughts on it and whether it is meeting your expectations or are you considering going back to either a desktop or laptop as your main computer device. Thanks!

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that you are always going to find people that have complaints about a product regardless of how good it is. There are always a certain percentage of hardware defects, there are people that do things to screw up the configuration, and there are people that just don't understand how a new product works compared to the previous product they are used to.

From my experience, the SP2 was pretty much perfect out of the box. I preordered and got mine the day before release. I work on computers for a living and I use my SP2 every day as a desktop with 2 external monitors. It does nearly everything I need it to do. I still have a desktop PC that I need to run multiple large server class virtual machines at the same time (clustered server environments for testing), but other than that and 3D gaming the SP2 does everything else very well for me.

Ironically, the only issue I have had was actually introduced well after the SP2 was released. My SP2 is now refusing to stay in sleep mode and it's reporting battery info incorrectly. This is because of a firmware update that was released several days ago which was intended to add some power saving optimizations. That firmware update has since been pulled from Windows Update so if it's not already installed you won't have to worry about it. A fix is supposed to be coming with the next batch of updates for those that are affected.

Anyway, in my opinion you would have been fine using an SP2 all along. I understand not wanting to take the risk of being an early adopter for a work related computer. However, SP2 has been a very solid product.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Every products has it's issues, and expect some to not be fixed by the manufacture. There isn't a "perfect system".
Even if you custom build a high-end system, you'll have its quirks. Very hard to get it perfect.

I don't have a Surface Pro 2, so I can't answer your question, but the reason I am still interested in it, is that, all issues are see are driver/firmware related. Nothing hardware. So it's fixable. It's not going to be the blame game with the manufacture and OEM, and nothing is fixed or a poor mans patch work done as the problem can't really be fixed.

As as mentioned above, you have manufacture errors. People go on the interwebs to complain, not really going how their device is amazing. So, popular products, will have more complaints.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I got my 8/256 the first day they came to the Microsoft stores, have installed every update available and haven't had a single issue with it.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I got my 8/256 the first day they came to the Microsoft stores, have installed every update available and haven't had a single issue with it.

Awesome.....that is exactly the computer setup I'd be looking for, the 8/256. I am trying to get my companies IT department to confirm this would all work (in the financial services field), but haven't been able to get them to commit to it. However, they are having a meeting soon where I will try and get an answer. Thanks everyone for the comments so far. It is reassuring to know the issues are software related rather than hardward related and thus can continue to be tweaked. In the meantime....I'll continue to monitor the situation and keep building up my slush fund so I can get everything all at once.

username55

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Id say its probably fine if you just do word processing type stuff.

If you need to do any high fidelity work Id skip it.

Im editing right now and have to check every piece of footage I get on another monitor because of the built in banding this display has..see this image

Surface pro screen test banding - carldavis

That choppiness behind the baby doesn't exist on a normal full color monitor. So I cant tell if im getting bad footage or its the surface screen.

If you are an artist you will never feel confident in being able to draw a line and then trace that line you can also count that out. Its nice to have the stylus but utlimatly for me the accuracy is not up to snuff. They don't have a built in way for it to take into account you rotating the tablet. Nor does the calibration ever even seem to stick. The best you can do is some strange hack to give a ton of calibration points. But even after that the surface seems to revert back after a restart. Photoshop gives me a driver crash nearly every time I open it. And for some reason when im on dual monitors and more than one program open I will click on the interface of one program and it thinks im clicking on the other one behind it. Very annoying.

To get around a lot of these problems you have to do hacky things which I just don't have time to keep up with and work. I wish I had just bought a desktop. I really wanted this tablet to be the device it could have been. But Microsoft didn't really take into account the power user IMO. Im sure a small team of engineers could have worked out a much better calibration setup than what this thing has for the stylus. Even to just do the math of rotating the calibration if the display was rotated. That's so simple and would improve things so much, but it doesn't even seem like they had user tests with actual professionals. I can just imagine the room of grandmas just happy to see a stylus working on the screen, and the engineers calling it a day.

Im only so livid about this stuff because it is soo close to what I would need if they just put a level of refinement apple used to put into their stuff as far as the user experience goes this thing would have been a dream machine for me.

Right now I just have to make it work and that sucks.

I push this thing very hard and often it cannot keep up, but if your just doing simple stuff its probably fine.

Bremen Cole

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is ready for prime time. It is not meant to be a workstation, but is a consumer computing device. And in that it excels.

Perfect for a quick edit of an Excel or Word file, great little web surfer (Firefox of course ;) ), nice email reader/writer and all around "home" computer.

If you are doing serious music studio work, photography, video editing etc, then use a full on computer. But for the day to day stuff, with occasional brushes with workstation like duties, it is IMHO a great little device.

mapenn

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Perfect for a quick edit of an Excel or Word file, great little web surfer (Firefox of course ;) ), nice email reader/writer and all around "home" computer.

I sure hope you didn't pay $1,000+ for this device if that is all you are doing with it! :) I've got a $99 HP Touchpad that can tackle those chores easily.

I purchased the 128GB version a few weeks ago and immediately took it on an overseas trip. Works great and is a definite laptop replacement for me - Photoshop, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Word, Excel. No performance issues at all.

BUT....the issue with battery drain has to be addresses immediately. It's one thing to have power drain at home/office. But when you are on the road and pull a burning hot Surface out of your backpack that has powered-on by itself and now has a drained battery before an 8 hour flight -- that is bad thing!

If I was within 30-days of my purchase, I probably would consider returning due to this issue. But I'll hold out in confidence that a fix will be coming within days. Hopefully!

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Having second thoughts about the SP2 after hearing these mixed reviews. I would be getting this to replace my work desktop (again, would have a touchscreen screen and the docking station with the SP2) so that I could also have the availability of a device that would be laptop/tablet "like" yet also the power of a desktop. Still seems like way too many glitches, although some apparently have had minimal issues. I don't want an experiment for my primary work computer. That's fine for home use, but not for a work computer. Grrrrr, was really hoping this was going to be the perfect device for me.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Having second thoughts about the SP2 after hearing these mixed reviews. I would be getting this to replace my work desktop (again, would have a touchscreen screen and the docking station with the SP2) so that I could also have the availability of a device that would be laptop/tablet "like" yet also the power of a desktop. Still seems like way too many glitches, although some apparently have had minimal issues. I don't want an experiment for my primary work computer. That's fine for home use, but not for a work computer. Grrrrr, was really hoping this was going to be the perfect device for me.
I've had the SP2 since day 1 and have never had a problem. I'd say go for it.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Ive owned SP2 since launch day (4/128) and love it...i did the firmware update and its running fine. No major concerns, i've had my share of minor annoyances but nothing to make me wish i didnt get it.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Every computers has it's share of problem. There isn't a perfect computer.
My laptop, a 2000$ Business class flag ship product, has a sucky touchpad, god awful onboard sound, that doesn't comprehend mid range and bass, tiny sounding speaker, used DDR2 GPU memory for the Quadro, and down clock it to 500MHz, instead of what the GPU was designed to come with: 700MHz DDR3, which the larger laptop version has (came after), people complained about paint chipping:
$T2eC16JHJGMFFpOFSb99BR5rv!vJIg~~60_1.JPG

if you didn't get the backlight keyboard option, the keyboard was flexing, and the pads are too low so the frame of the monitor touches the palm rest and over time scratches the plastic. The drivers for the touchpad, makes the keyboard and touchpad not respond for 2 seconds, and takes time to load. It loads at the time where you enter your password, so either you miss enter you password, or you wait until you think it's loaded. It's a serious pain.

It's the hugely popular, a bit over 5 years ago, Dell Latitude E6400. My laptop doesn't have any of these reported issues, expect the drivers, and the lower pad, which I had to mod to fix it (replaced with larger pads, was hard to make them professional looking like it came with the system, and not a half *** job).

You might say: well this laptop sucks, NEXT. no... because they are worse, and today there is still issues.
For example the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga, uses a PWM to control the backlight, meaning that for those sensitive to flickering, you sense the screen flickering. Most people that have headaches using their computer after long perdio of time and don't know why, is because they use a monitor that uses a PWM to control the backlight and not an actually, more expensive to implement, dimming circuit. The flickering is something that you don't see, but you sense it, and you have a headache after. The pen is tiny and doesn't have eraser feature, despite using Wacom technology, I have read reports of touchpad no longer working, and the hinge getting stuck. Additional issues. That is just at the surface level. I don't know the rest. I am sure it has more issues.

At the time HP used a horrible heatsink for many of it's last gen Core 2 Duo with Intel integrated graphics, leading the Intel GPU on the chipset to overheat, and throttling the entire system down to unusable state. Reviews didn't catch the issue. HP ignored the problem for the longest time, and only offered warranty replacement heatsink with a larger one, for those who ask, and are under warranty. (ie: if you took the basic 1 year warranty, you were out of luck).

The Dell Venue Pro 8 and 11 has a pen that simply doesn't work, it randomly click non stop as you come somewhat close to the screen, and is simply impossible to use. The fanless design suggest, for the Pro 11 with Core i5 option, that it might leads to throttling due to high eat under heavy usage under a long time. Not great for those who do demanding work.

There is no perfect system. Any system you look at, will have it's share of manufacture issues (the more popular ones will make you read more on it, as more are produced), and it's own issues. Personally, I prefer Microsoft Surface Pro 2 issues, as they are all software related. It's fixable.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for about a month and a half. And boy, there are some prevalent bugs still there. Sleep, Power off, hibernate, touch cover, IE bugs are everywhere. But the pro's greatly outweigh the cons. It's the best computer purchase I've ever made. No regrets.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
BUT....the issue with battery drain has to be addresses immediately. It's one thing to have power drain at home/office. But when you are on the road and pull a burning hot Surface out of your backpack that has powered-on by itself and now has a drained battery before an 8 hour flight -- that is bad thing!
Does anyone with that problem open the task manager to check which process is doing that...?

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for about a month and a half. And boy, there are some prevalent bugs still there. Sleep, Power off, hibernate, touch cover, IE bugs are everywhere. But the pro's greatly outweigh the cons. It's the best computer purchase I've ever made. No regrets.

Thanks for the positive feedback....kind of....LOL. I'm curious, do you use the SP2 for work or is it more of a personal computer? Also, did you get the docking station or have you hooked it up to a monitor (either directly or via the docking station). I'm probably a month or two from having to upgrade my current work desktop, so maybe some of these other glitches can be fixed during that time. I just don't want to have to be constantly dealing with "bug" issues.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I use it 40% work, 60% play. Work includes python programming, Terminal/telnet connections, a lot of RDT. For play is use GIMP for photo editing, SketchBook Pro for digital sketching, Steam games run great so far (Half Life 2 all episodes, Metro 2033, Path of Exile), Diablo 3, World of Warcraft. So far it's been able to handle everything I've throw at it. All in a mobile form factor.
Thanks for the positive feedback....kind of....LOL. I'm curious, do you use the SP2 for work or is it more of a personal computer? Also, did you get the docking station or have you hooked it up to a monitor (either directly or via the docking station). I'm probably a month or two from having to upgrade my current work desktop, so maybe some of these other glitches can be fixed during that time. I just don't want to have to be constantly dealing with "bug" issues.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the SP2 yet.. it's being shipped... no keyboard... that's out of stock.. also they are out of stock of extended warranty, as strange as it sounds.
In any case, I'll be using my Surface Pro 2 for programming (C/C++, C#, Java, Flash, PHP/HTML/CSS) and taking in class notes. I need the digitize pen for math related courses, diagrams, graphs, special symbols and such.. sometimes that was a huge headache with my laptop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans