Did you return your Surface Pro 2? Why?

chfhyh

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I returned mine... The main reason is that the screen is too small. In desktop,It is barely usable without an external monitor. It also overheats. After a recent update, it is having trouble shutting down as well.

I just got an Asus T300. It has 13.3 inch screen and runs really cool. I only wish MS went bold and give the pro line a 13 inch screen, such a great design wasted. With Apple/Samsung pushing larger tablet, I wonder how MS feels. A little regret maybe.

If you did, why did you return yours?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I returned mine... The main reason is that the screen is too small. In desktop,It is barely usable without an external monitor. It also overheats. After a recent update, it is having trouble shutting down as well.

I just got an Asus T300. It has 13.3 inch screen and runs really cool. I only wish MS went bold and give the pro line a 13 inch screen, such a great design wasted. With Apple/Samsung pushing larger tablet, I wonder how MS feels. A little regret maybe.

If you did, why did you return yours?

Surface line is tablet first. With that in mind, 13in becomes almost too big to use consistently as a tablet (my thought at least).

Heck I use desktop mode on my Venue 8 Pro without problem.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about returning it but I probably won't since I have an iPad as well which can be used for actual apps and handy reading. It is lightweight and has battery life. Things like my favorite Solitaire game is beautiful and flawless on it while the SP2 experience is like something from the '90s.

The Surface has been a bit of a disappointment, mainly since coming from the Mac world I'm finding Windows 8 as outdated and cumbersome as Windows was when I abandoned it around 2000.

I'm still attracted to have a touch screen device to run full dektop work applications like Lightroom and Photoshop while lying on the sofa, but it isn't really working out very fluidly. This type of device is a very exciting idea but it seems too early to be widely useful. I'm thinking that I'll probably keep it and just not use it much until things develop more, but by then there is probably a Surface Pro 3 so maybe the sensible thing would be to return it and wait for the whole Windows tablet thing to develop further.

I don't know... I tend to buy things and not return them and not use them either and then I regret it eventually when they have lost all resell value. I'm a bit of an Ostrich when it comes to these consumer things when you have to take something back and fight for your rights tooth and nail like you need to in my country.

chfhyh

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Venue Pro 8? Really? Like copying files around and nothing else?

I fail to see people getting surface pro 2 just for the tablet side of things. I would get Surface 2. most 2 in 1 on the market is 12 or 13 inch.

you probably never used one, but 13 inch tablet is not that bad, I love to browser in portrait with 13 inch. much more content.

with phones hitting 6 inch with equally powerful processors, the need for small tablet should drop. The era of bigger tablet is on the horizon. MS is going to be the follower again instead of the leader. what a shame...

Surface line is tablet first. With that in mind, 13in becomes almost too big to use consistently as a tablet (my thought at least).

Heck I use desktop mode on my Venue 8 Pro without problem.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I love my surface pro 2, and what it can do. I bought it for this very reason versus other products, it's a tablet with the power of a laptop. If it is too small, don't get it. :)

chfhyh

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
what i needed was a 2 in 1 device, where i can use the desktop mode and the metro ui. the bulk of the application for w8 is still on desktop, where you find all sorts of tools and games. the issue is that the menu based, mouse dependent and feature rich desktop applications sucks on a small screen. it needs to be bigger to be called a productivity tablet. the design concept is great with kickstand and magnetic keyboard.

windows 8 on the other hand is alright. until everything becomes touch based, the desktop and mouse is here to stay. the idea of combining touch and mouse is not that hard to get.

I'm thinking about returning it but I probably won't since I have an iPad as well which can be used for actual apps and handy reading. It is lightweight and has battery life. Things like my favorite Solitaire game is beautiful and flawless on it while the SP2 experience is like something from the '90s.

The Surface has been a bit of a disappointment, mainly since coming from the Mac world I'm finding Windows 8 as outdated and cumbersome as Windows was when I abandoned it around 2000.

I'm still attracted to have a touch screen device to run full dektop work applications like Lightroom and Photoshop while lying on the sofa, but it isn't really working out very fluidly. This type of device is a very exciting idea but it seems too early to be widely useful. I'm thinking that I'll probably keep it and just not use it much until things develop more, but by then there is probably a Surface Pro 3 so maybe the sensible thing would be to return it and wait for the whole Windows tablet thing to develop further.

I don't know... I tend to buy things and not return them and not use them either and then I regret it eventually when they have lost all resell value. I'm a bit of an Ostrich when it comes to these consumer things when you have to take something back and fight for your rights tooth and nail like you need to in my country.

chfhyh

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
without a bigger monitor, what it can do is very limited. yes, it is has the power, but that is where it ends.

i am just a little disappointed about what it could've been.

I love my surface pro 2, and what it can do. I bought it for this very reason versus other products, it's a tablet with the power of a laptop. If it is too small, don't get it. :)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What are you doing where you can't "see" whatever you are working on. I've replaced my desktop with a surface pro 2, and can see everything just fine.

To the person saying OSX is years ahead of Win 8, you're kidding yourself. I went from Windows XP to OSX, then back to Windows with Win 7 and 8. OSX is a niche OS, and doesn't hold a straw to Windows.

Bremen Cole

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
"OSX is a niche OS, and doesn't hold a straw to Windows"

LOL! Nearly spit my coffee out on that one! :)

I like my Surface Pro 2. But if there was one with a touch friendly OSX, it would be on Craigslist tomorrow!!!

I knew going in that using Windows would put me back to the world of driver issues, reboots and such.... but I did it anyway because I find the form factor is what I like! I still have my Macbook Pro for when I need a stable production environment.

And the SP2 makes a pretty good little gaming rig!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
What are you doing where you can't "see" whatever you are working on. I've replaced my desktop with a surface pro 2, and can see everything just fine.

To the person saying OSX is years ahead of Win 8, you're kidding yourself. I went from Windows XP to OSX, then back to Windows with Win 7 and 8. OSX is a niche OS, and doesn't hold a straw to Windows.

....Had a plumbing problem in the basement office. Clearing the office of furniture and things, I logged into the 15" PowerBook to turn some music on. An update bounced in the dock, so I sat down and allowed it, then poked around some while the update downloaded and installed. 1.2Gb of updates, about 6 minutes. Before it asked for a reboot, I checked uptime: 382 days.

ONE reboot later, the music was playing, and the same webpage was open, without doing a thing.

Yes, its just a niche os.

Meanwhile, silverlight just crashed my win7 partition again. Yay.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Form factor over functionality? Sounds like a Mac user for sure, so why don't you just get a MacBook Air. Again, OSX pales in comparison to Windows. I'd take XP over the current version of OSX.
"OSX is a niche OS, and doesn't hold a straw to Windows"

LOL! Nearly spit my coffee out on that one! :)

I like my Surface Pro 2. But if there was one with a touch friendly OSX, it would be on Craigslist tomorrow!!!

I knew going in that using Windows would put me back to the world of driver issues, reboots and such.... but I did it anyway because I find the form factor is what I like! I still have my Macbook Pro for when I need a stable production environment.

And the SP2 makes a pretty good little gaming rig!

Bremen Cole

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Open your mind a bit there jaxstate! Not everyone uses a computer the same way. There is no better OS, Windows and OSX are both equal. It just depends on a persons needs, and work flow which one is "best" for them.

Is a pick up truck better than a sports car? Well, if it's moving day it is! But, if I'm wanting to go faster around a curve, the sports car wins every time. It depends on what a persons need is which is "best" for them...... Get it?

No need to put down people who prefer a different computer operating system than you.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
A computer to cars analogy is useless when comparing computer OS's. No one is being "put down". Just stating that almost any version of Windows is better than the current version of OS X, from a productivity standpoint and from a consumer standpoint. Ive used Macs since the PowerPC days (still have a 17 inch iMac G4 in the closet) and used a MacBook Pro (sold my 2.0Ghz Intel on Appleinsider) and they are nice machines, but they are not more productive than Windows machines. 90% + of the population agrees.

Bremen Cole

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Wow.... just wow.... In your own world there I guess, and quite a bit insecure for sure....
This stuff really is important to you isn't it..... :)

Well, I have to bail out of this one, got better things to do......

Enjoy your Windows, I'll enjoy both.... different strokes for different folks.....

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure I get the purpose of this thread. We all bash apple for making all devices the same just in different sizes (ipad is just a bigger iPhone, iPad mini is just a smaller iPad etc) but then we ask the same from Microsoft. The beauty of windows is that you get to chose the manufacturer so if you want/need a bigger tablet you have plenty of great choices. If you want a watch with windows 8 I'm sure you'll be able to get that too pretty soon. I doubt the surface line was/is meant to cover all the different types of devices each of us expects. The only way to end up with a wrong device for your needs is if you made a bad choice to start with.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
10 inch is too big for me to hold in one hand, and 7 inch is too small for my tablet use (more of an out-sized phone). 8 inch is perfect, and until 8 inch came to the fore I have not bought a single tablet. Over 10 inch would be completely impractical. Imagine getting that out on a public bus? Imagine carrying that around all day?

Just goes to show, with tablets there is no trend to follow size-wise. Each need has a particularly ideal size. Variety is king, and Win8 has it all. My Encore is just the ticket.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Meh, i find the screen size works very well...even with using multitrack recording software that requires attention to details the screen size is suffice for about 80% of my work. Overall i think the product is amazing but i guess if you're spending $1k on something you have a right to complain. Overheats, seriously? Since launch day mine has never even got warm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb