A few more annoying things

cgmonkey

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had my surface pro 2 for about 3 weeks now and still consider it one of the best tech purchases I've made but;

The colour banding, still need to find time to talk to MS about this as its a big problem for me.

Bluetooth, what a joke, I can't stream spotify whilst using my bluethooth headphones. works fine when I plug them in wired but over BT its stop start every couple of seconds, can anyone recommend a fix?

The need to constantly recalibrate, this is very annoying, I have a HP2730p which had the same issues, WACOM drivers or the tech itself are rubbish, I hope Ntrig manage to get themselves sorted as WACOM need their stranglehold on this tech removed. To have the same issues for over 4 years is a joke. I think it something to do with using the pen in different orientations as it gets lost going from landscape to portrait but I may be wrong.

Only 1 USB is a pain

Paint chipping, especially around the charger connection, I also don't think it connects as well as the magnetic charger did on my Macbook Pro.

MS are ruining perfectly good hardware with poor driver implementation, and this is a good reason people do and should bash them.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
While I don't have a Surface Pro 2 yet, here is what I can say:

1- Color banding is due to Intel drivers. Intel strong point has never been graphics. In fact they are awful. Intel still works with software compatibility list design drivers, making unsupported software potentially crash, and not use a driver for all, which is significantly harder to design. Moreover, it never truly fully support DirectX and OpenGL version marked, as one come to expect even on the most entry level of Nvidia or AMD graphic cards. And more where Intel fails, like dual screen monitor support isn't great, despite working. This is nothing new, and it won't change until the average consumer demands Nvidia or AMD graphic solution.

In any case, it would seam that this is the solution of your problem: Severe banding and dark greys display as black - Microsoft Community

2- From my understanding of the Wacom technology, the full pen is being tracked, and that is why it doesn't really like metal pens, and has trouble on corners. In exchange, it does provide the best tracking and best pressure sensitivity experience, not to mention that the pen acts like a real pen. N-Trig, while works amazingly well on corners, the tip of the pen acts like a button, and that makes the pen feel strange, and nosier. Also, it doesn't support eraser functionality, and support much less pressure levels which could be a problem if you are an artists.
As the Wacom pen track the hole pen, you have to choose which orientation you'll be using the device. So I don't think its a driver issue, more like a technology limitation. It would be interesting to see, however, the driver supporting 2 calibration, and auto switch between them.. one for landscape mode, and the other for one of the portrait mode (ideally 4, for the 4 possible orientation).
Sadly, I have a feeling that Wacom is "one of those" companies, like Logitech, where they have amazingly impressive hardware, but the drivers are not great, limiting, and in some cases, buggy too.
Shame. Guess you can't have everything.

3- As for the single USB port, I agree with you. I see this being a pain. I expected at least 2 USB ports, especially that they are no good Bluetooth mouse (no back/forward button, not a good or great shape, no good scrolling wheel. I hope they'll come in the near future as such device becomes more popular, but I don't see this coming in the next month or so... maybe several years from now.

4- I have tried the charging port at the store, and I agree, it's not easy to plug in and out. I feel like like angle and size of the adapter plug makes it harder to plug it properly. I was able to plug it in, if you are careful. I saw some scratched in the port area, but no paint chipping beside directly around the port... then again, it must not be something that people actually remove and put back as it's a store demo unit. Apple doesn't have the problem, as there is no paint on the casing.. so scratches don't show, as you see the same color. Another problem is magnesium can't be died. Every single Magnesium cashing on all projects I have seen, including high-end, flag ship business class laptops, is painted, so, while I am no material engineer, I can only suppose that it not something possible to do.
I think the problem could have been solved or at least reduced, with a plastic surrounding, around the port, much like a standard headphone jack on devices. Maybe not as large to not make it super visible, of course. Personally, I am wondering if I should get a Surface Pro plastic body armor, as they are called, but only put it on the surrounding area of the device...but then again, it would be tricky to find one that has the hole cuts exacts around the ports, and that would make it harder to install, to diminish the damage. I wonder if I can make one with those sticky book covers protection... hmmm...

5- As for your bluetooth, I can't comment, as I don't have bluetooth headphone nor Surface Pro 2. It would be interesting to see if you have the problem with other Bluetooth speakers or headphones from a different brand.Maybe it's the bad luck fluke that wireless + your bluetooth headset don't play nice together.

Bremen Cole

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
There are plenty of issues of course, but I'm happy still happy overall. The one USB port thing is my biggest issue, wish it had the 3.0 it has, plus at least one 2.0..... :crying:

I don't do photo editing on it (use the Mac for that) so the color banding thing is not a huge thing..... The bluetooth is dodgy for sure, and I gave up using the Wedge mouse with it. Also I've come to accept the coming out of sleep issues/rebooting, I can live with it. :smile:

Would I buy it again? I think so, but I'll admit I might look closer at some alternatives before doing so.....

I will also admit that I thought it would be better than it is. I assumed since Microsoft made the hardware and the software, it would be a smoother experience..... But, that is what I get for assuming!!! :shocked:

cgmonkey

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks mbytes the link for the Intel fix made a noticeable difference. in fact a massive difference for me, I had installed those drivers with the exe but the manual install made all the difference, thanks again.

mddmx

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Bluetooth, what a joke, I can't stream spotify whilst using my bluethooth headphones. works fine when I plug them in wired but over BT its stop start every couple of seconds, can anyone recommend a fix?

I am also unable to stream music from my pro 2, same thing starts to play for 2-3 seconds and quits. Shocking that my stupid phone has no trouble, but a $1500 pc can't :(

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Oddly, I never even thought about the paint wear around the charging port. Checked and I have the same issue. :/

I think I can live with that one, though; probably just an inevitable thing that will happen. Odd that my SP1 doesn't exhibit this, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire