Backup Drive and External Drive?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 2, but yet to buy a backup drive. I know SkyDrive backs up some stuff, but not everything. What backup drives do you recommend? And how does the process work? Is it like a 100% backup? How would I restore my data if I got a new Pro 2?

And as I got the 256GB surface pro 2, and might need more in the future, how would that work? How would I make it not interfere with my backup drive, and how does it save? Is it like a fusion drive type of thing, with the SSD on my pro 2 and the HDD external?

Sorry for the questions, but I hope you guys can answer them. Thanks.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Since your Surface Pro2 has a full desktop windows operating system you can basically do anything you want like using Ghost to make a backup. I have a question first since I only have an RT. Did your pro come with windows disks or a Windows key and or is there a backup partition in the SSD?

A USB3 external drive would probably be best or setup a backup folder on a desktop if you have one.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Since its windows, just do a windows backup. It saves everything, including OS. You can also specify what files to backup. After you backup, you can save it to whatever storage device you have, USB, external HD, ssd, etc.

If and when you get another SP2, just go to windows backup again and it will ask for the "media" in which the backup is saved on. Give windows that and it will restore it for you.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Since its windows, just do a windows backup. It saves everything, including OS. You can also specify what files to backup. After you backup, you can save it to whatever storage device you have, USB, external HD, ssd, etc.

If and when you get another SP2, just go to windows backup again and it will ask for the "media" in which the backup is saved on. Give windows that and it will restore it for you.

How do I do that?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
There are many options available to you with Windows. You also can map a HD, meaning you can connect an external HD and have the OS hook into it like its internal memory. So everything you save (pictures, music, movies) will be saved on that external hd. Even applications, but I'm sure its just desktop applications can take this function. Where you can even install programs on the mapped, external HD and can excess it like its installed on your sp2. I'm sure you can do SD card, but it should be of high grade.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234