02-09-2014 09:14 AM
71 123
tools
    I would try to first shut down and power back the sp2. That should fix it. If not, try the hold power button down for 20 sec. Then press power button. Finally, if those don't work, try holding volume up button and power button.

That fixed battery level problem (not charged, when you charged it over night) for me.
    01-14-2014 04:23 PM
    Except if you're on the bad firmware, you'll start having battery capacity issues very shortly again after that Volume Up + Power On anyway.
    01-14-2014 05:19 PM
    Mine seems to be fixed after today's updates. I put it to sleep with the power button and set it aside for several hours. It did not come back on & heat up like it's been doing ever since the December update. This was not a firmware update, but maybe something else needed to be updated to work with the updated firmware.
    randomscandinavian likes this.
    01-14-2014 06:35 PM
    I can definitively say that the updates from yesterday DID NOT FIX the "wake from sleep on its own" issue with the December firmware update.
    lma13 and Dos101 like this.
    01-15-2014 01:14 PM
    I received an optional update on my Surface Pro 2 yesterday:
    "Update for 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2911106)" that I haven't installed yet, since it is optional. When I read the KB, it says IMPORTANT it is a rollup that includes 2914218. The Summary says that they recommend applying this update rollup.

When I search for 2914218, I don't find it? Is it the December update that broke the battery management and caused the random Start Ups?

I think I'll hold off on installing this optional update, until we receive the update to fix the issues from December. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 01-15-2014 at 02:46 PM.
    01-15-2014 02:22 PM
    01-15-2014 02:41 PM
    Yes, I know. I read that one. It seems harmless other than listing that it includes 2914218. I was wondering about 2914218?

I wonder why bug fixes would be optional?
    01-15-2014 02:51 PM
    I never had a problem with the December update other than my battery bar going crazy and reporting 1000 hours left

wish that was true = )
    01-15-2014 04:23 PM
    I never had a problem with the December update other than my battery bar going crazy and reporting 1000 hours left
    Maybe you got some secret prototype... with some nuke power battery! Shhhhh don't tell anyone. If you get 2 guys at the door, dressed in black, don't be shocked... just give them your Surface Pro :)
    01-15-2014 05:14 PM
    I was definitely engaging in wishful thinking. Pulled the unit out of my bag this afternoon extremely warm with about 10% battery left. Oh Well.
    01-16-2014 09:06 PM
    I was definitely engaging in wishful thinking. Pulled the unit out of my bag this afternoon extremely warm with about 10% battery left. Oh Well.
    Heummm.. it's a feature! Yes, of course! It's to ensure that things are well welded together! Of course! What makes you think it's something else?

oh wait it's not Apple...
    randomscandinavian likes this.
    01-16-2014 09:12 PM
    Wohoooo, Surface 2 Pro firmware update has finally arrived today! Let's see what it fixes... Just successfully installed it.
    01-17-2014 06:52 PM
    Seeing it as well, installing as I type. Can't find a changelog anywhere yet.
    01-17-2014 07:26 PM
    I put My Surface to sleep for 15 minutes and on wake up it was completely shut down. Looking at the events viewer there is a Kernel Critical error

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

So the issue with sleep mode has not been resolved by this firmware , sadly. Still crashes...
    01-17-2014 08:04 PM
    Working good for me. sleep and hibernate issues are resolved so far .
    01-17-2014 08:38 PM
    if more people confirm that their problem are truly resolved, then I think Peter T, you may have, I think, a hardware fault in your Surface Pro 2 that causes these issues :/
    01-17-2014 09:30 PM
    Good signs so far, hasn't woken itself up yet like it usually does.
    01-17-2014 09:34 PM
    The January 14th update has caused me numerous problems..

My SP2 wakes up on its own and my battery is reporting 40% wear

...wtf Microsoft?
    01-17-2014 10:45 PM
    The January 14th update has caused me numerous problems..

My SP2 wakes up on its own and my battery is reporting 40% wear

...wtf Microsoft?
    That is not the January 14 update... Jan 14update was nothing more than the standard Tuesday updates that we all get on all systems.
    You have the December firmware update installed.

Microsoft is deploying the new fixed up firmware in select zone (or serial), report shows. So, stay tune and check for updates often... it should be out (unless reports of problems comes out and Microsoft can confirm that and puts a halt on all of that).
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    01-17-2014 11:23 PM
    No new updates in my region since the 14th. I know... patience.
    01-18-2014 04:40 AM
    I can't believe that all Surface Pro 2 users are receiving this "Firmware" update, don't have anything to say?

Okay, I'll go ahead and install it.
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 01-18-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    01-18-2014 10:00 PM
    It isn't available to everyone yet, I suppose. I keep checking, but nothing comes up.
    01-19-2014 12:34 AM
    Installed it yesterday morning. So far, so good! I switched my setting from hibernate back to sleep and have kept it off the charger to test. All is working well again, knock wood. No battery drains and no waking itself up.
    01-19-2014 07:34 AM
    I haven't received anything yet
    ...my patience is really being tested here
    01-19-2014 02:07 PM
    I haven't received anything yet
    ...my patience is really being tested here
    Microsoft didn't update any web page related to this firmware update.
    I believe that the current release is for testing, and that the full release will be Tuesday.

If that is not the case, then the update is NOT provided by region, but by hardware revision/configuration (driver version installed).
    Sources from Marie Jo at ZDNet states that this is a firmware of multiple ones to come (Some Microsoft Surface Pro 2 users report a firmware fix rolling out | ZDNet). And as you remember, everyone had different experience when they installed the December firmware update. Some got it installed just like that, others got it installed after some hacking or workaround, others with changing drivers, others not even be able to install. So this indicated that they are different revision of hardware, and that means that Microsoft needs to put everyone Surface Pro 2, to the 'same page'. So this firmware update, is to fix a group of people problem with the December update (see it a custom firmware update), and other firmware for the groups are coming.

So while your patience is running thin, I strongly believe that you would prefer to get a proper firmware upgrade which fixes your issue, and not 'another December style firmware' and toss the Surface Pro 2 across the room, and b***** and moan how incompetent Microsoft is. It would have been nice to get more transparency, don't get me wrong on that, but that is what I think the situation truly is, if there isn't a mass firmware release by Tuesday.

Microsoft screwed up, I doubt it was intentional. I am sure everything went smoothly with the Pro 1 and Surface 1, they truly thought that their testing and procedure were correct. I am sure they even got experts. And with the Pro 2 everything falls down.
    This is seen by software developers as the demo curse or the release curse. Where everyone, including yourself deeply tested the problem. You are using daily yourself to detect all bugs and issue, and everything is solid. Then comes the demo, or you release it, and then everything collapsed, because they are situation or system configurations you simply did not think about.

Example, look at Maple. This is math software, a VERY expensive software. over 2000$ software right there. 100$ for student
    Guess what? There was a version of it, at some point, that the setup would get stuck if you have Chrome running. It doesn't touch Chrome, but for some reason the setup can't install some files, and the setup jams. While the company do say to close Chrome before starting the setup... some people also have the same problem without having Chrome installed... Firefox? IE? no.... Logitech mouse/keyboard drivers, SetPoint software. You have to kill it from the task manager, then the setup works. Strange, never used to be an issue, the setup was apparently not changed, everything was tested.. it's full Java including the setup, so one would think you are in a sandbox style environment... but nope. (this bug might actually be fixed by now, I don't know...)

Nvidia.. produced (well the selected manufacture produces the GPU, they just make the plans), their GPU always produced the same way.. but one day after more than a year for most people, massive disaster... graphic chips failing everywhere...OEM freaking out as huge amount of people what RMA'ing (sending for repair) their systems, costing manufactures millions of dollars loss. Why? Because the manufacture of the processor of the graphic card, either produced or ordered silicon wafer that was a hint, just a hint (less than 0.2 mm) thinner. So, it was a mess of who fault it was (as Nvidia is the one checking the GPU's produce and distributes them to manufacture that put it in computers or build the graphic card). It's been years they are working with the same chip manufacture, it's been years that they make GPUs. Yet, I guess they never though about checking for that, or didn't know the consequences of that, as the issue only appeared about a year of usage. So yea.. a curse, if you will.

Bad luck like this happens. In my book, it's OK, IF and ONLY IF, they are active in fixing the problem, and not hiding the issue under the rug (Apple would probably tell you: too bad! No issue! You broke the system! You are not using it right). And if they learned their lesson and it doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by MBytes; 01-19-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    01-19-2014 02:26 PM
71 123