firmware update for Surface Pro 2 releasing on january 14th for fixing issues with december updatr.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
if more people confirm that their problem are truly resolved, then I think Peter T, you may have, I think, a hardware fault in your Surface Pro 2 that causes these issues :/

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The January 14th update has caused me numerous problems..

My SP2 wakes up on its own and my battery is reporting 40% wear

...wtf Microsoft?

That is not the January 14 update... Jan 14update was nothing more than the standard Tuesday updates that we all get on all systems.
You have the December firmware update installed.

Microsoft is deploying the new fixed up firmware in select zone (or serial), report shows. So, stay tune and check for updates often... it should be out (unless reports of problems comes out and Microsoft can confirm that and puts a halt on all of that).

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe that all Surface Pro 2 users are receiving this "Firmware" update, don't have anything to say?

Okay, I'll go ahead and install it.

Last edited:

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Installed it yesterday morning. So far, so good! I switched my setting from hibernate back to sleep and have kept it off the charger to test. All is working well again, knock wood. No battery drains and no waking itself up.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I haven't received anything yet
...my patience is really being tested here
Microsoft didn't update any web page related to this firmware update.
I believe that the current release is for testing, and that the full release will be Tuesday.

If that is not the case, then the update is NOT provided by region, but by hardware revision/configuration (driver version installed).
Sources from Marie Jo at ZDNet states that this is a firmware of multiple ones to come (Some Microsoft Surface Pro 2 users report a firmware fix rolling out | ZDNet). And as you remember, everyone had different experience when they installed the December firmware update. Some got it installed just like that, others got it installed after some hacking or workaround, others with changing drivers, others not even be able to install. So this indicated that they are different revision of hardware, and that means that Microsoft needs to put everyone Surface Pro 2, to the 'same page'. So this firmware update, is to fix a group of people problem with the December update (see it a custom firmware update), and other firmware for the groups are coming.

So while your patience is running thin, I strongly believe that you would prefer to get a proper firmware upgrade which fixes your issue, and not 'another December style firmware' and toss the Surface Pro 2 across the room, and b***** and moan how incompetent Microsoft is. It would have been nice to get more transparency, don't get me wrong on that, but that is what I think the situation truly is, if there isn't a mass firmware release by Tuesday.

Microsoft screwed up, I doubt it was intentional. I am sure everything went smoothly with the Pro 1 and Surface 1, they truly thought that their testing and procedure were correct. I am sure they even got experts. And with the Pro 2 everything falls down.
This is seen by software developers as the demo curse or the release curse. Where everyone, including yourself deeply tested the problem. You are using daily yourself to detect all bugs and issue, and everything is solid. Then comes the demo, or you release it, and then everything collapsed, because they are situation or system configurations you simply did not think about.

Example, look at Maple. This is math software, a VERY expensive software. over 2000$ software right there. 100$ for student
Guess what? There was a version of it, at some point, that the setup would get stuck if you have Chrome running. It doesn't touch Chrome, but for some reason the setup can't install some files, and the setup jams. While the company do say to close Chrome before starting the setup... some people also have the same problem without having Chrome installed... Firefox? IE? no.... Logitech mouse/keyboard drivers, SetPoint software. You have to kill it from the task manager, then the setup works. Strange, never used to be an issue, the setup was apparently not changed, everything was tested.. it's full Java including the setup, so one would think you are in a sandbox style environment... but nope. (this bug might actually be fixed by now, I don't know...)

Nvidia.. produced (well the selected manufacture produces the GPU, they just make the plans), their GPU always produced the same way.. but one day after more than a year for most people, massive disaster... graphic chips failing everywhere...OEM freaking out as huge amount of people what RMA'ing (sending for repair) their systems, costing manufactures millions of dollars loss. Why? Because the manufacture of the processor of the graphic card, either produced or ordered silicon wafer that was a hint, just a hint (less than 0.2 mm) thinner. So, it was a mess of who fault it was (as Nvidia is the one checking the GPU's produce and distributes them to manufacture that put it in computers or build the graphic card). It's been years they are working with the same chip manufacture, it's been years that they make GPUs. Yet, I guess they never though about checking for that, or didn't know the consequences of that, as the issue only appeared about a year of usage. So yea.. a curse, if you will.

Bad luck like this happens. In my book, it's OK, IF and ONLY IF, they are active in fixing the problem, and not hiding the issue under the rug (Apple would probably tell you: too bad! No issue! You broke the system! You are not using it right). And if they learned their lesson and it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
if you follow any of my previous posts I tend to be an avid defender of MSoft
however, this issue is soo strongly cloaked in incompetence that they deserve all the criticism they are getting

...the fact that broken firmware was allowed to be pushed out to users alone is of serious concern
coupled with the fact that its been about a month now with no fix negates any requirement on our part not to complain about the issue

at the very very very least, they could provide a detailed time line as to when a fix will be available ...leaving users in the dark is unacceptable

Last edited:

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
True.
Update on Marie Joe article posted above (you probably saw it, but I just want to highlight it for those interested:
She has received the following from Microsoft today:
This weekend we released an update that addresses the unexpected wake and battery drain behavior experienced by a small number of Surface Pro 2 customers who installed the December Windows Update. This should have no impact on customers who had not received the December update. We are working hard to deliver the rest of the December update to those customers who had not received it prior to it being removed from distribution.?
Some Microsoft Surface Pro 2 users report a firmware fix rolling out | ZDNet

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. I have the 10th December firmware update (failed to install on 10th, succeeded on 17th! Odd.) but I'm not seeing this update. I hope it's just a slow rollout as I really could do with the fix.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Firmware out now here in Norway. Installed. I wonder why its name is in Norwegian and the update process was also in Norwegian even though my system languge os set to English. (Login screen is also in Norwegian). Seems like I cannot de-norsify this thing completely.

Now let's see what this thing will be like updated...

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You should be able to change the system language (like the actual Windows language) in Windows 8. There is such ability.
Definitely something you can look into

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Just got it finally as well. I may need to reset my battery stats since it is still showing 99% after one hours use. Power+vol up fixed it and hopefully it won't be any issue anymore.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I got my new Surface Pro 2 yesterday (replacing the faulty one I had... so I returned it, and ordered a new one once back in stock). I have the old CPU, sadly... but I am noticing the Surface Pro 2 being noticeably cooler under load than before, I didn't have the fan kick-in as fast as before, so that's the upside Anyway, this is of topic.

This morning I got the Jan 14 firmware... will install it tonight or later during the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes