firmware update for Surface Pro 2 releasing on january 14th for fixing issues with december updatr.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not soon enough! - disappointing they released something that screwed the hardware, got to hand it to Apple, they win (generally) only on this 1 point for me, just happens to be a damn important point!

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how trustworthy that article is...I am not going to be surprised if the firmware update gets pushed out sooner, but hey, it's nice to have a date. I'm going nuts checking my SP2 every hour to see if it's turned itself back on!

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Until this update comes out, my SP2 just sits at home turned off an unused until I come home. I can't risk taking it anywhere with me for fear that it will run out of battery before I can get an opportunity to charge it. It's a shame too because I was able to go a full day of use at work and never worry before the December update rolled out.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You can't take the charger with you? Just in case?

I have chargers at home, work, and in backpack. I don't like forgetting to take it with me. :)

Same with cheap reading glasses. I have them staged everywhere.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Until this update comes out, my SP2 just sits at home turned off an unused until I come home. I can't risk taking it anywhere with me for fear that it will run out of battery before I can get an opportunity to charge it. It's a shame too because I was able to go a full day of use at work and never worry before the December update rolled out.

It gets quite warm inside its leather case when it turns itself on in the night. The first time I awoke and I couldn't understand where that fan sound was coming from. I wonder about people who has their Surfaces in a homemade wool cozy from Etsy or something like that. If their devices can get hot enough to take damage. Probably not. But electrical things turning themselves on make me uneasy.

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
You can't take the charger with you? Just in case?

I have chargers at home, work, and in backpack. I don't like forgetting to take it with me. :)

Same with cheap reading glasses. I have them staged everywhere.

I'm not always near any place to plug in and charge. Besides, I'm usually moving around too much to be tethered to a charger.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ah, got ya.

I'm mobile nowadays. Must be on the grid 24\7 for work. But electricity is like air. Gotta have it. Battery and charging methods are as important as bandwidth.

Fortunately, easier today than ever in history. LTE, WiFi, and AC converters for vehicles have changed my life. No ball & chains anymore. Progress!

Masaaki-MtOlympus

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I got 'System hardware update' today. But the date shows '10/24/2013'.

Should I be worried about?

SP2: 256GB, 8GB RAM, Firmware update in mid December -failed/cancelled.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I got an update with that same date a few weeks ago, some time in December! This was after I had already updated with the infamous December firmware update discussed here. At least after I thought I had successfully downloaded and installed it. I never went back to look for update errors afterwards, just on occasion for new updates.

Masaaki-MtOlympus

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
hmm...that's interesting....a system hardware update with the strange date (10/24/2013) delivered on different date depending on the user?

My SP2 actually have some power consumption symptoms, I guess. Battery level quickly goes down to %60 or something, and it says 6hr, but suddenly drops to 2hr. I thought this is something related to CPU throttling, because calculation is based on the current draw by the running applications. But indeed, it goes very quickly down to 20% or something, even just using web browser. So, the total battery life is just 3 or 4 hours, practically. Also, I had a couple of times, the OS started by itself, but I thought that's because I accidentally touched power button in the bag. Reading through several threads here, my SP2 might be a victim of the December firmware update.

Anyway, I'm not so bothered, since I use SP2 mostly with AC/DC adapter so I haven't contacted MS. Just for today, I'm testing without AC/DC adapter, and it seems the battery life is much better, but who knows tomorrow......I'll report back.

I usually trust system updates for other PC desktops, but I don't install drivers because they are usually optional. Unless something is terribly wrong, I don't install these third party drivers (don't fix if it's not broken - policy). But SP2 is a MS-made hardware, and driver updates come directly from MS.....what I should do...I'm not so sure after reading all these troubles.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
New updates for me today:

Microsoft Silverlight 5.1.20913.0
KB2565063

It's been powered off for about a week now so these may not be the legendary Jan 14th update we've been waiting for. I don't know. Would have been nice if there had been actual information about what is going on.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I got the standard updates today around 12PM central but still no firmware...I need it...badly...battery has suffered and it just randomly reboots when I do nothing to it (assuming it is part of the "sleep" bug.)

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
On another forum, people are seeing the update. While it's too early to say as it's like only 1-2 people tried, it looks like it the battery problems are solved.
People are seeing if other problems are solved as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss