Install App uder 1 profile, how to make it visible and work on kids account?

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
just got my surface pro2 and loving it so far.

1 quick question:
I installed some games under my profile that I want the kids to be able to play under there account.
How can they see these apps?
Currently, they are not visible to there profile.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You need to make a shortcut of the game on the Start Screen that affects all users. That would be in:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (yes, it's called "Start Menu", Microsoft did not rename the folder)
Note: 'ProgramData' folder is a hidden folder. Either show the folder,or copy and paste the past on the address bar of a folder, and hit Enter to jump to it.

Now in the kids account. Go on the Start Screen, and swipe up to see all apps. You should see the game somewhere listed., which you can pin to their Start Screen (right-click > 'Pin to Start' or, if you prefer: Tap and hold and then on the menu that will pop-up, select 'Pin to Start')

Last edited:

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
maybe I am not seeing it but I cannot get to the startmenu via Desktop.
the programs are apps that were downloaded and installed from the app store. Will that change the process a bit?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh I am sorry. I meant the Start Screen, it's just that Microsoft didn't rename the folder where the icons are stored for the Start Screen. It's called "Start Menu" (probably to not break setup failing on putting a shortcut there), and I got confused when typing.
I have edited my post.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want to mess around with that you can simply download it again on the other account :wink:

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
the programs are apps that were downloaded and installed from the app store. Will that change the process a bit?
Ah... that changes things. The apps are installed at a user level only. Not globally. So what you can do, is make the kids account a local account (Win+I > Change PC Settings > Accounts, and click on the blue link: Disconnect), restart your system. Then start the store. Login with your credentials when asked, download the games, then do Win+I again, and I think you should see a "Sign out" option somewhere. This will prevent your kids from getting non-free apps for free.

If you would like to setup restriction, have a look at Windows 8 Family Safety options, and Group Policy (Start > type: gpedit.msc > Enter)

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you don't want to mess around with that you can simply download it again on the other account :wink:

yes, but this could lead to space issues having the same app downloaded on 2 different profiles?
Coming from WP8, the Kids Corner is so nice.
Would love to see that type of deal on the tablet.... :)

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Then maybe Windows 9. As Microsoft knows that companies follow a 6 year life cycle, every second version of Windows, they tend to focus more to be power user and enterprise focused (much like how Windows 7 was over Vista)
Already, with pressure of power users, we might see some additional changes to Windows to reflect that in Windows 8 future updates showing the path it they are going to in Windows 9. So we have to wait and see.

For now, it's not a few GB in total that will affect anything. Each game are less then 200MB. Some are only 20-30MB. Big PC games that you buy in stores, will have no problem sharing among multiple users. Do what I mentions above with the shortcut in the folder (should be done automatically by the game setup, in most cases), for the big title games, and you are good. Just, expect for like Civilization 5, and a few indies here and there.. don't expect to be touch friendly as they are designed for the desktop PC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99