Docking Options

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
My new Surface Pro 2 will be here today....

I am looking for docking options, here is what I want to do. I need a docking station that will run 2 separate monitors, a external HDD, external disc drive, wireless mouse and keyboard, ethernet as well as a couple USB accessories periodically and while charging.

I have heard about the Microsoft docking station made for the Surface but will it do all of this? Anybody know of any other docking stations that will work?

Thanks for the help.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The Surface dock has only 1 display connector. You can go with those USB graphic cards for a second monitor, but don't expect great performance out of it. It's really designed for basic office work.
Alternatively (better),
If you have a set of displays that support DisplayPort 1.2 daisy chaining feature, you can connect 2x display at 1920x1200 each.

The Surface Pro 2, due to the limitation of the Intel intergarted graphics can only power 2 display at once, unless you use these USB graphic cards like DisplayLink.

Jake-44

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Try out the Plugalbe Dock, additional USB 3 ports and half the price of the MS docking station: Products | Plugable
I just ordered the Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Dock for my Pro 2, some good review are on YouTube on this dock that you might want to check out.

Jeffrey Davidson

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I've been using a Targus USB 3.0 dock for the last couple months, and it's been awesome: Amazon.com: Targus USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking Station, works with Dell XPS, HP Folio, Toshiba Portege, Asus Zenbook, Samsung Series 9 Ultrabooks and major PC brands (ACP70USZ): Computers & Accessories

I'd love to use the official dock, but my work monitors are DVI, and I just didn't like any of the converter/splitter options available with display port. It sounds like it can accomplish everything you're looking for - my setup is pretty similar, and I've never had any device lag issues.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Try out the Plugalbe Dock, additional USB 3 ports and half the price of the MS docking station: Products | Plugable
I just ordered the Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Dock for my Pro 2, some good review are on YouTube on this dock that you might want to check out.

I've heard a lot of good things about this dock and was leaning towards it. Do you mind posting some thoughts once you get it running?

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been using a Targus USB 3.0 dock for the last couple months, and it's been awesome: Amazon.com: Targus USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking Station, works with Dell XPS, HP Folio, Toshiba Portege, Asus Zenbook, Samsung Series 9 Ultrabooks and major PC brands (ACP70USZ): Computers & Accessories

I'd love to use the official dock, but my work monitors are DVI, and I just didn't like any of the converter/splitter options available with display port. It sounds like it can accomplish everything you're looking for - my setup is pretty similar, and I've never had any device lag issues.

You run 2 external monitors as well as the Surface monitor?

What Surface do you have and how does the Surface handle all the monitors?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
With the display port built into the Surface? No external dock?

No external dock. DisplayPort is awesome!
But you need the display that supports it. Meaning, the monitor must have a DisplayPort OUT.

Example of some displays with such ability:
- Dell U2414H. It's also the only actual thin boarder display, making great for multi-display setup.
- Dell U2413. If you seek really good color reproduction (at a consumer level), with AdobeRGB and sRGB pre-color calibrated profiles. The monitor is 1920x1200 (16:10)
- Dell 2713HM. 2560x1440 affordable 27inch monitor, comes with sRGB color profile pre-calibrated at the manufacture for the best color out of the box (ok well, out of the box, and you go on the monitor on screen menu, and select "sRGB' color profile. Same for the U2413 above.

They aren't many monitors with it, as it's fairly new, but Dell has it as they are a string supporters of DisplayPort.

All monitor listed are IPS panels. The U2713HM and U2413 features a true 8-bit IPS panel (I don't know about the U2414H, could be 6-bit IPS panel with FRC, going by the price). All monitors features 3 year warranty, and a very competitive faulty pixel policy: 6 or more anywhere dead pixel, no zones or distance policy crap to not cover you. and a 1 or more stuck or bright pixel. That is right.. a single stuck or bright pixel -> replacement. Dell pays shipping for any warranty claim BOTH directions, and you always have a monitor on your desk. Meaning when you place a warranty call, Dell will ship you a your replacement monitor, while you keep yours. Once you receive yours, you just swamp it, and in the box you'll find a pre-paid shipping label. Just stick it over the old one, and call the mail carrier to come and pick it up. Dell does not charge you anything on your credit card and puts no holds (at least in Canada and U.S, I can't comment about the warranty on other regions, I don't know).

One thing that Dells knows how to make is monitors. If you never had one, the first reaction would be "Why doesn't the rest of the company look at their monitor division and take a page from it.". Ask anyone, their monitors are solid.

Oh forgot t mention, the monitor features a solid, well constructed, reinforced by metal stand, with metal mechanical system so it doesn't become loose over time. They are all fully adjustable, and non-glossy.

If you are interested, and it's a bit over your budget, if you are in the U.S or Canada, be sure to pick up the phone and negotiate a price on the phone.. yes you can do that. :)
My Dell 24inch monitor was 750$, I paid 500$. And, at least the one I got, is worth every penny of that 750$ price tag. That was back in 2009, IPS panels, with good response time, where more expensive. They pretty much just recently (the past few years) touched the high-end consumer market, and when I got mine, it was when they were fats enough for comfortable gaming. Obviously, as you can see, IPS panels got far cheaper rather quickly, thanks to the introduction of 6-bit panels with FRC (to emulate 8-bit colors per channel, much like what most people use today (TN panels)), and of course natural price reduction of the panel due to higher demand, and improved manufacturing process.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I ended up getting the Plugable dock for 2 displays, I have 2 displays connected to the dock as well as my Surface Pro 2.

I am having display problems and cannot figure it out. All 3 of my displays are set to 1920x1080 but everything on the 2 external displays is massive. I have run all the updates, installed drivers and reset multiple times. I think the problem is the display size, on the Surface it is set to 150% which is what is necessary for the Surface, but that makes my external monitors massive and annoying as hell. The display size needs changed so that my surface is one display size and my external monitors are another. Does anybody know how to do this or how to fix my problem in general? I need everything on my 2 external monitors toned down so it isn't so big.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Under the location to change the resolution, click on: "Make test and other items larger or smaller".
Then check the box box "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays", and click Apply.

From there you can adjust the DPI setting for each display. When done, hit Apply and log out and back in to see the effect applied properly.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Under the location to change the resolution, click on: "Make test and other items larger or smaller".
Then check the box box "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays", and click Apply.

From there you can adjust the DPI setting for each display. When done, hit Apply and log out and back in to see the effect applied properly.

I tried this buts it still changes the settings for all monitors. How do I select which monitor to change?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested in solving this too. I have the Surface Pro2 with Surface Docking station. I use a USB DisplayLink (graphics card in a small box) for a second monitor. All my desk top software ribbons are tiny on the Surface and huge on my monitor.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in solving this too. I have the Surface Pro2 with Surface Docking station. I use a USB DisplayLink (graphics card in a small box) for a second monitor. All my desk top software ribbons are tiny on the Surface and huge on my monitor.

I believe I have found a fix for part of our problems.

In the DPI settings in display uncheck the box that says 'let me choose one scaling level for all my displays', I think somebody else mentioned this above. It definitely does not fix the task bar size or anything in IE but things like Chrome, Word and other programs are usable now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss