11-11-2014 03:53 PM
58 123
tools
    I'm not being a fanboy here, but Chrome sucks even on my MBA in OS X, but mainly for other reasons than you said.
    04-24-2014 10:11 PM
    I just want to know what chrome can do that IE11 can't.
    Better add-ons, and better support with them. They have lots of extensions...
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-24-2014 10:13 PM
    Chrome is horrible on a touchscreen. No amount of spackle can cover that mess. Even the defunct Metro Firefox had better touch (though it was still awful).

I still use FF as my main browser and IE as my touch browser.
    04-25-2014 03:31 AM
    I love Chrome on desktop and I also have a Chromebook. I think it's second to none and runs circles around the desktop version of IE and unlike some here who seem to be unconcerned with helping and taking jabs at Chrome, I'm here to try to help. Chrome has very bad HiDPI support, even on Chrome OS, because there just haven't been high density screens for "desktop" computers until recently. I recommend the settings in chrome://flags that some have mentioned. There is also a tablet mode that will provide somewhat more touch friendly controls. However I think their tablet interface is trash. IE Metro is much better, with the exception that it blocks plugins. I use it almost exclusively on my tablet, though I miss my Chrome bookmarks being synced.

This could easily change once a Chrome OS tablet is released since Google may actually put some effort into a decent touch UX. It's also possible that someone could implement Chromium as a Metro app but it's unlikely. I'd love a strong Chrome experience for touch on Windows 8, but it isn't going to happen overnight. (Or as some think: not at all because Google is evil and trying to single-handedly ruin Windows or something)
    05-03-2014 09:48 AM
    This could easily change once a Chrome OS tablet is released since Google may actually put some effort into a decent touch UX.
    You mean Android?
    05-03-2014 10:02 AM
    You mean Android?
    Chrome for Android follows Android design guidelines which differ slightly from Chrome for desktop. Not to mention Android and Chrome OS share little more than the Linux kernel. The touch paradigms are, for some reason, entirely different. It's likely they may adopt that same UX though. I suggest a Chrome OS tablet is because Chrome OS and Chrome Desktop share more code and UX.
    05-03-2014 10:16 AM
    I have installed Chrome, which forces you to use ChromeOS over layer, and the last thing it is is touch friendly. Windows 8 desktop is superior.
    It needs a lot of work, which is something I don't understand why Google would want to invest on, when you have the polished, well build, huge selection of apps, and support, called Android, which also supports mouse and keyboard, and made by Google, the same company.

If they go that rout (I mean already I don't get ChromeOS, but ok, I let it slide as it's more keyboard and mouse friendly than Android, even thought I think it would be miles better decision to have simply to modify Android GUI a bit), it would highlight the massive disorganization of Google.
    05-03-2014 12:01 PM
    You miss the point of Chrome OS. Google is hedging it's bets on web apps with Chrome OS and If they can get it in more form factors and touch friendly it's all the more to their benefit. In fact, Android and Chrome OS don't canibalize each other because Google is all about their services.

Also, if you don't get Chrome OS that doesn't mean it doesn't fill an important niche. My mom exclusively lives on the internet so a Chromebool made more sense than a PC and we haven't had one problem. On the other hand I have my PC for gaming, something Chrome OS is trash for.

But, now we've gone off topic.
    05-03-2014 02:58 PM
    Trying other browsers is bad for your health. (I do have FF installed but only for testing since I do some web development)

But.. I will NEVER INSTALL OR USE A GOOGLE PRODUCT OR SERVICE.
    05-03-2014 03:55 PM
    ...I will NEVER INSTALL OR USE A GOOGLE PRODUCT OR SERVICE.
    Not even a solitary Google search, just to see if it's any good. A person of conviction, undoubtedly
    05-04-2014 06:12 AM
    I have a W8.1 PC and a first gen Surface RT, but what the hell is a "Windows 8 mode" that has been mentioned many times when it comes to Chrome?
    05-04-2014 06:48 AM
    Not even a solitary Google search, just to see if it's any good. A person of conviction, undoubtedly
    Using Bing, I find everything i'm looking for. Sure in the past I would go to google if I couldn't find it on bing. but after doing that a few hundred times, and never finding anything that bing didn't have, there's really no point.
    05-04-2014 02:52 PM
    Using Bing, I find everything i'm looking for. Sure in the past I would go to google if I couldn't find it on bing. but after doing that a few hundred times, and never finding anything that bing didn't have, there's really no point.
    One thing that Google has that Bing doesn't currently is to show recent earthquakes without going to the website. It isn't big, but I like it...
    05-15-2014 08:25 PM
    I have a W8.1 PC and a first gen Surface RT, but what the hell is a "Windows 8 mode" that has been mentioned many times when it comes to Chrome?
    so chrome has a Modern UI version, found in the menu. It says "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 Mode."
    voila.
    05-15-2014 08:48 PM
    so chrome has a Modern UI version, found in the menu. It says "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 Mode."
    voila.
    LOL! No. It lunches ChromeOS overlay. Another tactic to push to you Google+, and ChromeOS into your face. Also, if you increase the DPI, it completely breaks. And ChromeOS is harder to use with touch, and all it does, is run Chrome web browser in a window, like if you were on the desktop.
    Ordeith likes this.
    05-15-2014 09:03 PM
    LOL! No. It lunches ChromeOS overlay. Another tactic to push to you Google+, and ChromeOS into your face. Also, if you increase the DPI, it completely breaks. And ChromeOS is harder to use with touch, and all it does, is run Chrome web browser in a window, like if you were on the desktop.
    sorry, I ditched chrome a while back and must be out of date.
    05-15-2014 09:35 PM
    voila.
    Not found on Chrome on my SP2.
    05-16-2014 10:03 AM
    that's odd, it shows up on my laptop
    05-16-2014 03:18 PM
    It's there on my surface pro. It becomes the default browser and takes away the metro IE browser until you make it default again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-16-2014 04:22 PM
    It's there on my surface pro. It becomes the default browser and takes away the metro IE browser until you make it default again.

I checked in that menu list. It isn't there for me

Sent from my Xbox One using Tapatalk
    05-16-2014 04:45 PM
    Making it default is optional and modern IE going away is the fault if MS programming it that way, not Google.
    05-17-2014 07:31 AM
    I'll take a screen shot later and show you unstoppablekem

unstoppablekem likes this.
    05-17-2014 09:31 AM
    Try this on Windows 8/8.1
    Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

To enable this feature under Windows 8, follow the below procedure:
    Right-click on the program's icon > properties.
    Go to the Compatibility tab.
    Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and click on Apply.

Hope it helps.

Some more reading on the subject.
    05-17-2014 10:05 AM
    Try this on Windows 8/8.1
    Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

To enable this feature under Windows 8, follow the below procedure:
    Right-click on the program's icon > properties.
    Go to the Compatibility tab.
    Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and click on Apply.

Hope it helps.

Some more reading on the subject.
    I already did that awhile ago.
    05-18-2014 01:00 PM
    Google has no interest in Chrome taking advantage of Windows 8/8.1 features. They just want a platform for ChromeOS. It's the only reason why there's that lame Windows 8 mode.

It's time people push Chrome aside. Use any browser but Chrome. Heck, Firefox works much better with touch than Chrome. Firefox is much more agnostic than Google. Google abandoned their "don't be evil" a long long time ago.
    MBytes, Ordeith and hopmedic like this.
    05-19-2014 02:12 AM
58 123