Chrome SUCKS on my Surface!

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes that's true, though the feeling is clearly mutual:

Don't Get Scroogled! - Scroogled

Agreed. But it's a long fight. Like Microsoft made YouTube app for Windows Phone 8, as Google refused to make one (which makes sense as it's a competitor, despite tiny, against Android), so what Google did, is detect Windows Phone 8, and block the web site form being accessed, so that the YouTube app from Microsoft would not work. And of course, it goes on like this.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I just want to know what chrome can do that IE11 can't.

Chrome and Firefox offer addon's. While I am a bit outdated on Chrome addons. Firefox (but should be similar for Chrome), has great add-ons like:
-> AdBlock Plus - Block all ads on sites that annoys you. I block it on all sites, except the site I want to support, like this one.
-> Firefox has an addon to allow you to scroll pages with the pen, like you can with your finger.
-> Also has an add-on to download youtube videos
-> powerful and fast download manager addon. Great for downloading large files.
-> use a better PDF viewer instead of Adobe reader, one that takes less resources and faster (Chrome has this embedded, Firefox is currently an add-on, but coming up version will be embed as well)
and a lot more. There is even an addon that allows you to change the way a website (any) is displayed.

Also Firefox has FAR better development tools than IE11, if you are into web site development.

Nathan Smith8

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
in chrome, go to chrome://flags

find chrome application in the filesystem, righclick>properties>compatibility disable scaling
enable touch optomixed UI to make menu items touch optimized.

enable hiDPI to make everything else larger; however this could make chrome tabs semi blurry

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Chrome is horrible on a touchscreen. No amount of spackle can cover that mess. Even the defunct Metro Firefox had better touch (though it was still awful).

I still use FF as my main browser and IE as my touch browser.

Armada

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I love Chrome on desktop and I also have a Chromebook. I think it's second to none and runs circles around the desktop version of IE and unlike some here who seem to be unconcerned with helping and taking jabs at Chrome, I'm here to try to help. Chrome has very bad HiDPI support, even on Chrome OS, because there just haven't been high density screens for "desktop" computers until recently. I recommend the settings in chrome://flags that some have mentioned. There is also a tablet mode that will provide somewhat more touch friendly controls. However I think their tablet interface is trash. IE Metro is much better, with the exception that it blocks plugins. I use it almost exclusively on my tablet, though I miss my Chrome bookmarks being synced.

This could easily change once a Chrome OS tablet is released since Google may actually put some effort into a decent touch UX. It's also possible that someone could implement Chromium as a Metro app but it's unlikely. I'd love a strong Chrome experience for touch on Windows 8, but it isn't going to happen overnight. (Or as some think: not at all because Google is evil and trying to single-handedly ruin Windows or something)

Armada

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You mean Android?
Chrome for Android follows Android design guidelines which differ slightly from Chrome for desktop. Not to mention Android and Chrome OS share little more than the Linux kernel. The touch paradigms are, for some reason, entirely different. It's likely they may adopt that same UX though. I suggest a Chrome OS tablet is because Chrome OS and Chrome Desktop share more code and UX.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have installed Chrome, which forces you to use ChromeOS over layer, and the last thing it is is touch friendly. Windows 8 desktop is superior.
It needs a lot of work, which is something I don't understand why Google would want to invest on, when you have the polished, well build, huge selection of apps, and support, called Android, which also supports mouse and keyboard, and made by Google, the same company.

If they go that rout (I mean already I don't get ChromeOS, but ok, I let it slide as it's more keyboard and mouse friendly than Android, even thought I think it would be miles better decision to have simply to modify Android GUI a bit), it would highlight the massive disorganization of Google.

Armada

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You miss the point of Chrome OS. Google is hedging it's bets on web apps with Chrome OS and If they can get it in more form factors and touch friendly it's all the more to their benefit. In fact, Android and Chrome OS don't canibalize each other because Google is all about their services.

Also, if you don't get Chrome OS that doesn't mean it doesn't fill an important niche. My mom exclusively lives on the internet so a Chromebool made more sense than a PC and we haven't had one problem. On the other hand I have my PC for gaming, something Chrome OS is trash for.

But, now we've gone off topic.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Trying other browsers is bad for your health. (I do have FF installed but only for testing since I do some web development)

But.. I will NEVER INSTALL OR USE A GOOGLE PRODUCT OR SERVICE.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a W8.1 PC and a first gen Surface RT, but what the hell is a "Windows 8 mode" that has been mentioned many times when it comes to Chrome?

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Not even a solitary Google search, just to see if it's any good. A person of conviction, undoubtedly

Using Bing, I find everything i'm looking for. Sure in the past I would go to google if I couldn't find it on bing. but after doing that a few hundred times, and never finding anything that bing didn't have, there's really no point.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Using Bing, I find everything i'm looking for. Sure in the past I would go to google if I couldn't find it on bing. but after doing that a few hundred times, and never finding anything that bing didn't have, there's really no point.

One thing that Google has that Bing doesn't currently is to show recent earthquakes without going to the website. It isn't big, but I like it...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a W8.1 PC and a first gen Surface RT, but what the hell is a "Windows 8 mode" that has been mentioned many times when it comes to Chrome?

so chrome has a Modern UI version, found in the menu. It says "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 Mode."
voila.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
so chrome has a Modern UI version, found in the menu. It says "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 Mode."
voila.

LOL! No. It lunches ChromeOS overlay. Another tactic to push to you Google+, and ChromeOS into your face. Also, if you increase the DPI, it completely breaks. And ChromeOS is harder to use with touch, and all it does, is run Chrome web browser in a window, like if you were on the desktop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte