will microsoft match the resolution of galaxy note 10.1 2014 for surf pro 3?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
right now the surface pro 2 res is 1920 x 1080

galaxy note 10.1
2560 x 1600

Reason I asked is because I went to a local BB recently and compared both in terms of writing capabilities, and right now the surf pro2 is not as smooth as the GN10.1

I am hoping this becomes a standard but I haven't been keeping up with tablet news lately so I don't know if Lenovo or Dell already has this resolution on their tablets.
I need writing capabilities for class, but I do not wanna get sucked into androids eco, so here's hoping for a nice upgrade in 8 months.

Still no news about that Surface Mini too, and its already February.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Do you have a link that shows the galaxy note 10.1 resolution is 2560 x 1600? That just seems really high. I don't even have my computer monitor set that high. Thanks!

ininjam

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Not until the desktop can scale gracefully I'm afraid. Tell me, do you really want to operate with desktop icons on such a small high-res screen?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
1080p was selected for the SP and SP2, because if you have good eyes, you can use it at 100% DPI, and program that don't scale at all (example: photoshop), can still be used.
Higher resolutions would make it impossible to use. So, ininjam, said, it won't happen until the majority of big popular programs will make their apps high DPI friendly. UNLESS, Microsoft put a stand, and goes "too bad", to have more people complain to devs so that they are pushed to re-work their GUI to be high DPI friendly... but that will also mean loss of sales. I doubt it will happen, because the Surface Pro is a unique product by itself, so if you actually need power, you'll get it regardless.
In addition, Microsoft is trying to show that the Surface is a viable device for the company to sale to it's investors. Already sales has doubled this second generation over the first. This is superb news. However, a lot of work needs to be done to continue to have an increase market share to be actually fully profitable.

So I think the SP3 will be thinner, lighter by making the battery smaller, and keep about the same battery life, thanks to the next generation Intel CPU which will consume even less power as now.
and/or longer battery life, by keeping the device the same size and weight, or make it more powerful, by using a an Nvidia or AMD dedicated GPU with switchable graphic system, making it still great battery life, but when needed, at a cost of a warmer device and reduce battery even further when in use, more power when gaming and using 3D software.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ummm.... at 46 years old, my eyes just aren't good enough anymore to need greater than 1080p on a screen this small. :wink:

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I think you mean lower. Higher will make things even smaller.
Maybe you should bring your Surface Pro when you get your eyes check.. screw that stupid alphabet thing on the wall at the optimistic. Use the Surface Pro all the way! :grin: That is what I would do when I'll get to older!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think you mean lower. Higher will make things even smaller.
Maybe you should bring your Surface Pro when you get your eyes check.. screw that stupid alphabet thing on the wall at the optimistic. Use the Surface Pro all the way! :grin: That is what I would do when I'll get to older!
I meant higher. My eyes aren't good enough to read higher than 1080p resolution. The text would be too small.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Unless Wacom comes out with an improved technology (or someone else), you'll need to calibrate the pen regardless, as we all hold the pen differently.
I guess they can go with N-Trig, but then you'll complain about the AAAA (4x A's) battery that you need for the pen, and how the tracking is very slow, where a circle will look like a decagon or something alike.

Or you can enjoy Synaptic wonderful pen technology:
Dell Venue 8 Pro Active Stylus and Folio Case Accessories Review - YouTube
It's for a reason why Dell didn't send to any reviewers or even provided a pen at any show.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3