New firmware update - March 11 Edition

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft releases a new firmware update!

The new March firmware update is said to provide the following fixes and improvements:
March 2014 updates

The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update - 3/11/2014” when you view your update history.
  • Surface Pro UEFI (v2.04.0450) improves experience when using BitLocker so that a Surface Cover can provide PIN input.
  • Surface Touch Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v2.0.262.0) update improves multiple finger support on the touchpad.
  • Surface Type Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v2.0.262.0) update improves multiple finger support on the touchpad.
  • Surface Power Cover Firmware Update Device (v2.0.268.0) provides support for Surface Power Cover.
  • Surface Cover Telemetry (v2.0.229.0) improves stability and experience for Surface Covers.
  • Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller (v14.69.24052.168) resolves wireless network connectivity issues.
  • Marvell AVASTAR Wireless Composite Device (v14.69.24052.168) improves Miracast support.
  • Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth ?Radio Adapter (v14.69.24052.168) updated as part of a driver package that includes the Marvell Wireless Network Controller and Marvell Wireless Composite Device. There are no Bluetooth updates in this version of the driver.
  • Intel(R) Display Audio (v6.16.00.3135) improves Miracast support.
  • Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (v10.18.10.3431) improves Miracast support and enables daisy chaining of monitors using DisplayPort 1.2.
  • Intel WiDi Audio Device (v4.5.44.0) improves Miracast support.
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 update history | Surface firmware updates

Remember everyone, before you processed doing the update, do the following:
1- Have the the Surface Pro 2 plugged in.
2- Have your Surface Pro 2 FULLY charged at 100%.
3- Have the keyboard connected, and I would go a step further, just in case, to put it in a laptop position, and not flipped on the back, to make sure it's turned on.
4- Close all your programs until the process is completed
5- Your system may reboot several times, and the fan may kick-in at full speed. Do not interrupt the process. Firmware update can take a few minutes to install. Be patient.

Enjoy!

Foppa_21

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not seeing it. Just had my first random shutdown so I'm hoping this is the cure (even though it's not listed as a fix/improvement).

muitosabao

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
not seeing it either, yet. actually under update history, my last System Firmware Update is from 10/12/2013 and it says it failed to update. is it normal? :/

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft releases updates updates in batches, and region.
It can take 1-2 days before you see it.
I don't see it this morning, but now I do, as well as 13 other updates (Office, Silverlight, Windows)

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I accidentally turned off the surface during the update and now it's been stuck on the getting devices ready screen for a bit - what should I do?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you screwed up Windows.
restart the system. If it still happen, do so again and again. After the third time you should see a menu, with options. I don't know how it will look like from memory, but you should have somewhere the ability to do a System restore, where you can bring back Windows back in time. Do so, and you should be good.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you screwed up Windows.
restart the system. If it still happen, do so again and again. After the third time you should see a menu, with options. I don't know how it will look like from memory, but you should have somewhere the ability to do a System restore, where you can bring back Windows back in time. Do so, and you should be good.

Looks like it just got itself in a jiffy - after waiting about an hour on the 'getting devices ready' screen (on the way to school) I just shut it down, and it did the spinning dots for a bit before starting up as per normal. Also it looks like I've installed the update as Windows Update shows no updates ready to install. Cheers for the help!!

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
so who wants to be the first to try out a multi stream hub to test that DP 1.2 functionality. Universally, they are reviewed as not compatible with SP2 on amazon. did that change?

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Since all of my problems are more or less cleared up now... banding... pen calibration... screen calibration... I'm terrified of updating these type of system settings that leaves the user in the dark. Who knows what might happen! Usually I'm all over updates for everything I own but with the SP2 I really just want to hold my breath now that things finally work.

Firdaus Fauzi1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
the problem in the december update appears again on my surface pro 2 after this march update. Sometimes I will be stucked at the UEFI settings several times before getting to boot to windows. Don't they test the update before rolling out to the users? What's BitLocker anyway?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For those not seeing it?
Are you guys using Windows Update under PC settings, or the classic Windows update? I am using the classic one.
(just wondering if it's really the same, or not)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've only had my SP2 since January, I think (may have been end of December). I've been through three Patch Tuesdays with it now, and each time the updates have caused some kind of problem. The first time it was the keyboard and wifi. I had to go through troubleshooting with MS and they arranged a warranty replacement for me. After getting off the phone, dissatisfied with the steps he had me do, I did more, and fixed it myself. It took two months before the guy contacted me about the case still being open.

I don't remember what last months' problem was, but this month it was the capacitive start button. It sure would be nice to be able to have updates install without having to go through afterward and fix what the updates broke...

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
but this month it was the capacitive start button. It sure would be nice to be able to have updates install without having to go through afterward and fix what the updates broke...

I already had the button not work on me a few times since I got it. After digging, I noticed it's a Windows 8 bug as it affected other tablets as well.
Opening a problem on the desktop and/or a folder, usually solve this.
It's just a mater of finding under Device Manager which item it is the Start Button, uninstall it, and let windows rescan.
A full shut down should solve this issue. In the case of the Surface Pro 2 it will be: shut down, then do Vol Up + Power button and hold trick.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, none of that worked until I went into Device Manager and blew away all the drivers under HID. Then when I plugged in my mouse receiver, and it detected new hardware, it reinstalled everything and the start button worked right away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon