Some Metro apps don't have internet access when using a USB 4G card

andy roddy

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm so glad I found this forum. There's certainly a lot to learn about my new SP2.

I haven't seen any threads about data connectivity issues when using a USB 4G card. The desktop programs all work flawlessly, but I have noticed that many Metro apps act as if they don't have internet connectivity (e.g., Here Maps). Has anyone else come across this, and has anyone found a solution?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't have such device to test. But I don't see how it is possible to cause a problem.
I assume it works like a wireless card with no special software, beside the drivers, so it should work everywhere.

On WiFi, everything works?

andy roddy

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, everything works on WiFi, but some apps do not see the internet connection when I am connected with a 4G card. The desktop programs all work without issues.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
That is kind of weird. I just got my Surface so I am still unlocking its secrets (heh), but maybe you can try this: since it is a 4G card chances are it set as a metered connection... If you change it back to non-metered, do the metro applications work?

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Network, and then tap or click Connections.

3. Tap or click the connection you want to change, and then, under Data usage, turn Set as a metered connection on or off.

andy roddy

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Good idea. Under network settings, this shows up as an "Ethernet" connection (!?). The only available options are "find devices and content" and the properties are listed.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes, technically Ethernet connections do not have this option since theoretically they are non-metered. So there goes that theory. :(

I would try to see if there are new drivers for your card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett