How can I afford a Surface Pro 2 by Fall 2014?

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
When I was 15 I was cutting grass in my neighborhood for $20 a pop. That includes trimming. That was back in 99, you can easily charge $40 a pop now. I went door to door.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Sarcasm is both constructive and demonstrates your intellectual superiority. It will almost always impress people on the internet.

Whilst I agree lying is bad m'kay, has anyone ever honestly answered the question, "Why do you want to work here?" in an interview? Of course not, because the reason you want to work at Gap is not because you have a raging hard-on for khakis, but because you're broke, and 50% of all the Gap employees you've ever met seem to be missing a few chromosomes so you reckon you can probably excel there.

When they ask, "What is your biggest weakness?" you know the answer is your love of methamphetamine, but in the interview, you're going to say that being organised isn't your strongest point, so you implemented a time management system that really helped your organisational skills.

No-one lies more during an interview than the employer, anyway.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, just like you're not trying to impress anyone. I'm just pointing out how bad that piece of advice is.

Lying about your availability is not smart. Bottom line. The jobs I worked in high school were crucial to getting the jobs I worked in college. And the jobs I worked in college ultimately landed me the references and experiences I needed to get the job I have now.

OP - I hope you get the Surface Pro 2 sooner rather than later. It's a great piece of hardware, even though I opted for a Surface 2. But as great as it might be, it's not worth lying to get it. Just be honest.

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Liar!!!

And evylrob would say : "That's because you don't have a car".
Variant : "That's because you don't meet girls (or guys) that make you care about it. And that's because you don't go to parties. That's because you?re not invited to parties. That's because you don't have a car."

Ok fine, you caught me. However, the reason I say that is because no girl has ever liked me because of the way I am, and that's probably not going to happen because I don't want to change my lifestyle.

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
That's cool - I'd still recommend learning to drive sooner rather than later and get it out of the way; it's much easier to learn things when you're younger, not to mention a lot easier finding the time to do so. I certainly wouldn't rule out trying to get some kind of job at a local garage over summer to learn about maintenance and earn some money at the same time.

If you really couldn't give a toss about cars, and you earn ?800 or more over summer, I'd put it in the bank until you really need it (like for when you want to go to Uni or just move out into your own place) rather than spunking it on a fancy computer.

Who said anything about that? I was just talking about the freedom of being able to get yourself to places, and enjoying the company of other people being more fulfilling than a Surface Pro 2. Even just driving a car, operating what is essentially a powerful machine you can sit in, is pretty empowering.

I'm sure you would, and maybe beyond, but only because you can't realistically afford to keep upgrading every year (not many people can) - when I said 'shiny electronics that are always obsolete within a year' what I meant was - buying luxury electronic items serves only to make you want to buy a nicer luxury electronic item in about a year (or two)'s time when it comes out - it's a never-ending cycle! They're almost addictive; they're the best thing ever for a week or two, maybe three, you get a real buzz, then they just become normal, everyday appliances. You were excited about your DS Lite, Compaq laptop and Surface RT once!

I don't have a charger for my DS but when I charged it once when I went to my friends I played it for about 12 hours straight, I still love it.
My laptop was great, but now its too slow and Microsoft Surfaces look better
I still love my Surface RT, but I can't keep it if I want to pro 2. Maybe if the surface mini is really cheap I can use that as my "day trip" device but the Pro as my "school and gaming" device

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not trying to impress anyone, just like you're not trying to impress anyone. I'm just pointing out how bad that piece of advice is.

Lying about your availability is not smart. Bottom line. The jobs I worked in high school were crucial to getting the jobs I worked in college. And the jobs I worked in college ultimately landed me the references and experiences I needed to get the job I have now.

OP - I hope you get the Surface Pro 2 sooner rather than later. It's a great piece of hardware, even though I opted for a Surface 2. But as great as it might be, it's not worth lying to get it. Just be honest.
We've already established that even if he were tempted to lie, it's not an option as he's legally required to stay in education until he's 18.

I will take it back, though - OP: You don't strike me as the sort of person who would let some randomer on the internet interfere with your moral compass, so I'm sure you don't need me or anyone else to tell you that you shouldn't lie, generally as a rule. You're already a good candidate because they can legally pay you as little as ?3.72 per hour when someone 21 or older they'd have to pay ?6.31.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok fine, you caught me. However, the reason I say that is because no girl has ever liked me because of the way I am, and that's probably not going to happen because I don't want to change my lifestyle.
There's someone out there for everyone, fella - but you've got to go and find them! (and there have probably been several girls interested but you didn't pick up on the signs - I've had several girls tell me years later 'hey, I really fancied you at school' - and I was like, 'aw man... WTF!?' - you've got to remember they're probably as petrified of you as you are of them)

What is it about your lifestyle you think makes you unappealing to the opposite sex, if you don't mind me asking? I guarantee there's a community out there with girls that think just like you.

I don't have a charger for my DS but when I charged it once when I went to my friends I played it for about 12 hours straight, I still love it.
My laptop was great, but now its too slow and Microsoft Surfaces look better
I still love my Surface RT, but I can't keep it if I want to pro 2. Maybe if the surface mini is really cheap I can use that as my "day trip" device but the Pro as my "school and gaming" device
There you go again with the notion that buying more electronics will improve your life in some way - it won't, it will just make it easier and more appealing to distract yourself from the real world. Skills and experiences will enrich your existence, not computers.

I always ask people to remove their shoes when they come in my house (to keep the carpets clean) but I've also had to impose a gadget ban, otherwise people just sit there Tweeting and Facebooking and Instagramming the dinner I just made for them. FFS - you can do that any time!!

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
There's someone out there for everyone, fella - but you've got to go and find them! (and there have probably been several girls interested but you didn't pick up on the signs - I've had several girls tell me years later 'hey, I really fancied you at school' - and I was like, 'aw man... WTF!?' - you've got to remember they're probably as petrified of you as you are of them)

What is it about your lifestyle you think makes you unappealing to the opposite sex, if you don't mind me asking? I guarantee there's a community out there with girls that think just like you.

There you go again with the notion that buying more electronics will improve your life in some way - it won't, it will just make it easier and more appealing to distract yourself from the real world. Skills and experiences will enrich your existence, not computers.

I always ask people to remove their shoes when they come in my house (to keep the carpets clean) but I've also had to impose a gadget ban, otherwise people just sit there Tweeting and Facebooking and Instagramming the dinner I just made for them. FFS - you can do that any time!!

I dont really use social media 24/7, as the main application running on my laptop is Visual Studio Ultimate 13 (which is probably why my laptop runs slowly)
It would be so nice to have this on the go

Edit
Girls don't like computers or gamers like me. They prefer sporty popular and confident people

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I dont really use social media 24/7, as the main application running on my laptop is Visual Studio Ultimate 13 (which is probably why my laptop runs slowly)
It would be so nice to have this on the go
Again, I'd look into upgrading the RAM and installing an SSD for immediate improvement - your biggest bottleneck, particularly when compiling, will be disk I/O. An SSD would be the best performance / ? thing you can do in the short term.

Girls don't like computers or gamers like me. They prefer sporty popular and confident people
This is so not true!! My Mrs has completed every Mario and Zelda since the NES, and she talked me into getting a Wii U on day of release! She also has a major wide-on for Doctor Who - she's probably a bigger geek than I am!

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Again, I'd look into upgrading the RAM and installing an SSD for immediate improvement - your biggest bottleneck, particularly when compiling, will be disk I/O. An SSD would be the best performance / ? thing you can do in the short term.

This is so not true!! My Mrs has completed every Mario and Zelda since the NES, and she talked me into getting a Wii U on day of release! She also has a major wide-on for Doctor Who - she's probably a bigger geek than I am!

I guess you found an awesome girl then lol
For my birthday, my parents turned my step-brothers old bike into a brand new bike, which means I can sell my old bike, putting me even closer to the SP2. I hope

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess you found an awesome girl then lol
For my birthday, my parents turned my step-brothers old bike into a brand new bike, which means I can sell my old bike, putting me even closer to the SP2. I hope

I would consider looking into other tablets for September. By this to!e there should be better and cheaper laptops than the surface pro 2.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett