PSA: those of you considering a display port hub for SP2 should look elsewhere

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
PSA:
Display port 1.2 lets you use MST hubs and monitors with MST hubs to run multiple monitors on SP2. However support for various models is lacking from MFST. I just got off the phone with a MS support rep and he confirmed hubs don't work and a fix is in the planning stages and will be released "soon". Off course soon probably means: "LOL you should have bought an ultrabook instead".

Given how much MSFT touted DP 1.2 in their surface launch, I feel very disappointed. In particular, the cost of a DP hub remains high and MSFT basically lied about supporting them: support wasn't added for DP 1.2 until the march update, and it is only partial as the 3 most popular hubs: EVGA's, Accell's and club 3D do not work with SP2. It seems whatever MS tested for DP 1.2 to boast claims of multi-monitor support, wasn't hubs available on the market.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes! You are correct. It is up.
I check and the February update doesn't show up anymore, and I presented with the March update once again, which probably indicates thing has been updated. So I'll apply it.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
May I ask, what is the advantage of using a Display Port hub over daisy chaining Display Port monitors vs using a USB 3.0 DisplayLink adapter?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Well daisy chaining Display Port monitors, requires you to have a monitor that supports it. A Hub, allow to use older monitors that don't have such feature (Probably uses DisplayPort 1.1, and not 1.2).
However, the Hub has limitations. These limitations follow the same as monitor daisy chaining:
Display-Res-Photo.jpg

Source: Driving Multiple Displays from a Single DisplayPort Output | DisplayPort

DisplayLink Adapter has very poor performance, and has a lot of drivers issues.

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
You need the March firmware.
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 update history | Surface firmware updates

However, it's been pulled. Despite working for many including myself, others were having issues. They don't seams very problematic issues, fixable, but none the less, it doesn't provide a good experience for all, so Microsoft pulled it. It will be back, but we don't know when.

sadly, no. System firmware update 3/11/12 installed. I didn't know the march update had been pulled. WTH! december was a disaster and they also pulled that one, now this. Seriously I'm starting to wonder if surface pro 2 is beta-ware. Sadly I'm packing the hub to ship back to amazon. I noticed the march update had new intel drivers. this added a DP topology explorer which shows all my monitors. However SP2 still doesn't send a signal to them (or does so in a way the hub can't make heads or tails of it).

There have been other problems. Today, my one screen that works with the hub started flickering on and off every second or so. I had to reboot the SP2 to get a stable signal. Well, I can't wait for SP3 I suppose. This SP2 has been about the most problematic device I've ever had since my windows ME PC.

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
May I ask, what is the advantage of using a Display Port hub over daisy chaining Display Port monitors vs using a USB 3.0 DisplayLink adapter?
To add to MBytes excellent summary, the other reason is that the USB approach offers less performance and takes a much higher toll on your bus speed and battery life than using the DP output. Even when used with a dock station, surface does not have a proper accessory bus, therefore it must use its single USB port for everything. Try connecting a mic, headset, a couple of USB devices and you'll soon have surface tell you that you're out of USB resources. Forget about running a second monitor this way.

the DP hub fixes this by letting the intel graphics chip send the signal directly to both displays, allowing your USB bus to remain free to do...USB stuff. MSFT should have made the dock have two outputs therefore allowing the vast majority of non DP 1.2 monitors work with dual screens. But instead they chose the ridiculous path of releasing a standard that is poorly supported on top of being poorly available for most people. Basically if you want to use SP2 with two screens, you'll have to buy at least ONE new monitor.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi, thank you MBytes and neonspark for your comments.
Is there a hub, that is available, that works with the Display Port to connect monitors that don't have a Display Port connection? Just wondering what others have tried, that worked.

Thank You.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know. I only have 1 monitor with DisplayPort. I have not jump into multiple DisplayPort monitor, let alone via a hub.
I want one day multiple monitors, but it is a luxury that I can't afford at the moment. Sorry. I can't help you on this particular question. I don't want to give you false information.

I do know that DisplayPort is backward compatible to single link DVI (max resolution 1920x1200 @ 60Hz), however I don't know if it will interfere things if you use it with a DisplayPort hub.

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi, thank you MBytes and neonspark for your comments.
Is there a hub, that is available, that works with the Display Port to connect monitors that don't have a Display Port connection? Just wondering what others have tried, that worked.

Thank You.
not a multi stream hub. surface simply does not, at this point support ANY DP hub. If they ever do, you can convert the DP signal using a cheap adapter to HDMI or DVI-D as long as you don't go beyond 1920x1200. You can try multi display adapters which basically trick your surface to think it has a really wide monitor and then split the signal in half. however the cons are:
-windows doesn't maximize windows correctly if you do this
-compatibility is questionable for some models, check amazon reviews as surface owners are quite desperate to find solutions and you'll find comments saying what works and doesn't.

However my advise remains the same: do not use a DP hub until such time as MSFT ships an update stating improved support for them. This must be beyond the march update which simply added some support but obviously not complete support. You'll be wasting your money otherwise. shame.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786