Vapormg Issues

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Does anyone have any issues with the VaporMg coating coming off? Around where the power connector is it is no longer black from where I connect/disconnect to charge.

Also at other various places you can see the Silver casing underneath. I've never dropped my Surface Pro 2 so wondered if I had a dodgy batch?

Obviously it isn't a major issue and doesn't affect the operation of said tablet, but when you throw down such a large amount of money you expect it to be built to a high standard.

Many thanks

​Ben.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Like any magnesium body laptop, it's painted. I am not expert, but so far there isn't a laptop/ultra book made in magnesium where the metal is dyed, they all painted, including the Surface 2. This is probably because the end result doesn't appear good, or simply can't be dyed.

Therefore, it is prone to scratches. Avoid putting the Surface Pro 2 case side down on the table. Put it with the keyboard side down on the table. Avoid putting things on the device which may scratch the device. If you are carrying it around in a bad. Be sure the inside is clean and soft. You can find pouches/sleeves that offers that. You may want to get it.

Scratches around the power connector is something to expect. Same for the USB port and Mini DisplayPort connector. The Pro 1 had this issue.
The power connector is metal on metal, and it will get scratch, however, if you are careful when you connect it, you should only have the border where metal turns 90 degree inwards to scratch off, and not get worse. The USB port and Mini DisplayPort, in order to not see the awful metal body of these ports, the opening is cut exactly to the size of the port. So it is normal that it will scratch a bit over time. If you are careful when inserting a plug/device on these ports, it should not scratch more, and not really visible under somewhat low light. The inside of the USB and Mini-DisplayPort port is dyed aluminum titanium color so that should not get scratched (well not visible as scratches metal will look the same color)

The only fix is the use of aluminum, but that would make the device heavier, and thicker.

andy roddy

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the insight MBytes. The SP2 scratches if you look at it the wrong way. I ordered a 3-pack of screen protectors. I put one on the screen and cut up another to put it on the back. It's not elegant, but it's better than having scratches all over the back, and I'm not too interested in a case that will add more thickness and weight to this device.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeaa :/ I had similar experience with my laptop with my first magnesium laptop. Not fun when you get a scratch on it.

They are vinyl body that you put around the Surface Pro 2. It is available in variety of design. You perhaps want to look into it, if there is something that might interest you, if you want an alternative to what you did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb