Cracked Screen - SP2

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello!

Today my girlfriend accidentally dropped her Surface Pro 2. We live in Panama, so there is no way to get official support while over here.

One of the alternatives I found while browsing the web is doing a replacement on my own, but that would be $330 in parts plus $50+ to get the tools to do the repair myself. This is not taking into account the time it takes for the parts to arrive (in most websites I found, they either didn't carry the SP2 screen+digitizer assembly or they were out of stock) and the associated risk that I may screw it up even more.

Another one is to send it off with a friend of ours who is a flight attendant and see if she can get to a Microsoft Store in Miami, pay the out of warranty exchange fee and get it replaced/fixed same-day. Do any of you know if that is even feasible? I think the fee would be around $300+tax.

The third one is, sadly, getting her a new one; she really needs it since the new semester at the School of Medicine already began.

Do any of you have any opinions on which is the best way to go?

Thanks!

PS: So sad to see this machine in such a state...

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I saw that teardown. One thing I would have loved for them to have specified is whether the LCD+Digitizer assembly for the SP2 is the same as the one for SP. It will be even harder to replace it if I don't have anything to replace it with LOLSadly, no local shop will do it, since SP2 is not officially available here in Panama. Hers might as well be the one and only SP2 (and my RT also a rare species).Thanks for the reply!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss