Is there any way to switch the functinons of the top row of keys on Type Cover 2?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So I realize that that was a long title and probably doesn't make much sense, but what I'm basically asking is if you can reverse what the top row does? For example, instead of hitting Fn +F1 to turn brightness on the backlit keyboard down, can I just hit the F1 button? Or the F5 button searches, then I hit Fn + F5 to do whatever it is F5 does. If that makes sense, can someone tell me how to do it? Thanks.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So I realize that that was a long title and probably doesn't make much sense, but what I'm basically asking is if you can reverse what the top row does? For example, instead of hitting Fn +F1 to turn brightness on the backlit keyboard down, can I just hit the F1 button? Or the F5 button searches, then I hit Fn + F5 to do whatever it is F5 does. If that makes sense, can someone tell me how to do it? Thanks.

Yeah, it bugs me that after all these years of using the function keys, they've decided that the default function should be something other than what they've been for literally decades. I was quite happy to find the Fn+Caps Lock a while back.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
There are so many opinions about this that it is hard to please everyone. I know people that prefer those as dedicated keys to control brightness, volume, playback, etc. Some other people do prefer to have the function keys by default.

I like that Microsoft added a way to set one or the other depending on your preferences. I wish my laptop had this.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There are so many opinions about this that it is hard to please everyone. I know people that prefer those as dedicated keys to control brightness, volume, playback, etc. Some other people do prefer to have the function keys by default.

I like that Microsoft added a way to set one or the other depending on your preferences. I wish my laptop had this.

Doesn't your laptop have an option in BIOS to change it? Several laptops I've had, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, all had an option in BIOS.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
That being said... I just found this little gem to remap individual keys. I was against remapping but this seems to be working quite well.

In case someone is interested: RandyRants: SharpKeys

I may get my insert key back in the type cover, hehe. :excited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss