It's that time. It's nearly past time. But with MS offering $100 to upgrade, I'm thinking of applying it to the SP2.

What I'd like to hear is from folks who use the SP2 as a desktop.

I plan to get the docking station and the Type Cover. I already have a 24" 1920x1200 monitor (ASUS ProArt, IPS). My most intensive use is RAW photo image processing.

What is it like to mix the SP2 w/ a non-touch monitor? Will I be obligated to be in Desktop mode like that?

What do folks do for optical media? USB based DVD writer?

Would I be better off with a "traditional" desktop + something like the Nokia 2520 (winRT) for the tablet use model? (Though I really just want a WiFi tablet - can tether to my Lumia for internet when not at home...)

I do have elementary school aged kids who are going to be pining more for online access...

Thanks for your opinions.

-Chris
    04-04-2014 01:41 PM
    In this post http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...ml#post2415275 I give a reply that somewhat relates to what you are asking. I am answering from the point of view of a developer but some of what you ask I mention. You may find it useful.

I haven't used an external DVD drive yet but I cannot see any instances where it would be problematic.
    04-04-2014 01:47 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

Just some more of my musings: the idea of spending this much coin on a non-upgradable device sticks a bit. But then, I've never lived on the bleeding edge of tech - I don't refresh often (as if being on XP still wasn't a clue...) In the years I've had this current machine, I've added a HDD, and expanded RAM. But for the question of SP2 storage, the cloud is the new solution - and I'm planning to add NAS here at home, as well. If I get the 256/8G, I don't think I'll be hitting any memory limitations anytime soon :)

-C
    04-07-2014 11:42 AM
    The 256GB is the one that I got and I am doing well, not even close to being full. Granted, since you work with images I would imagine your hard drive requirements are bigger than mine. :P

That said, yes, NAS is they way to go. I just created my first rudimentary NAS. It's awesome. :D

I understand what you say about the "non-upgradeable stick", hehe, since I usually build my own computers (except for laptops).

My plan is to try to remain on the bleeding edge with the Surface line so if/when a Surface 3 comes out I would sell this one before it devalues too much and jump to the next model. We'll see how that goes.
    04-07-2014 11:47 AM