Upgrade from S2 to Surface Pro 2

flotto

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
About a month ago I bought my Surface 2, thinking that I wouldn't need the Pro2. I'm now debating upgrading to the Pro 2, and luckily I have a coworker ready to buy my S2. I recently switch from iPhone and iPad to Lumia 1020 and S2. I love my windows devices, but I was an apple guy for almost 10 years and my wife still runs an iPhone from work. So the concept of install iTunes on the Pro 2 is a major reason I'm considering this.

Any other pros or cons to making the upgrade I should know about?

Thanks in advanced

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't own either but I can give an opinion.

You're going from a tablet OS (RT) to a full blown OS W8. I don't really see many cons in this. If you know how to use the Surface, it's the same on both machines. The main advantage of the Pro is the ability to run almost any Windows program. You're basically getting an ultra portable laptop that also works as a tablet.

Probably the only con would be battery. It doesn't last as long as the Surface 2.

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If you come from an ipad to surface rt, then you don't need any exe apps to run on your tablet. I don't find it logical to pay around $500 more for only iTunes capable device. Maybe you should start migrating your library to xBox Music.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're looking to run iTunes, but you're fine with everything else, you could consider one of the 8" tablets. They run full win8, come with office, and will most definitely run iTunes

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
If the only reason for buying a Surface Pro 2 is just simply run iTunes and you're happy with your Surface 2, I wouldn't use the $500 on the pro just for iTunes. What I would do is buy a simple $300-$400 desktop that run's full blown Windows 8.1. Move all your music to the PC and have iTunes and Xbox Music configured for that folder. That way, you wife can sync via WiFi and your music will be in the cloud. Furthermore, you'll be able to connect to the PC via Remote Desktop. Videos are of a course a different issue since iTunes will normally DRM the file. But I'm sure someone else here on the forum can give some advice to get around that but that's what I would do.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The Surface Pro 2 is going to crush the S2/iPad/Nexus tablet. It's a full blown OS, and it's a laptop replacement [for me]. No comparison with those. Purchasing the SP2 due to a strong need to use iTunes would be overkill. I also use a iPhone, and before I got my SP2, I used a old ancient laptop that had iTunes loaded.

You may look into buying a Surface Pro 1 if you don't really need the latest and greatest, and want to sync to iTunes, while having a great Surface "tablet".

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the surface pro 2 - don't think of it as a tablet (like the ipad) or even as a surface - this is a full blown laptop. With the keyboard lopped off. If you imagine that, well you have your pros and cons right there.

Agree that it will be overkill, just fir itunes. You're better off saving your money and getting a cheaper laptop, like a dell or something.

Either way, good luck!!!!!

flotto

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm not just doing it for iTunes, that's for sure. I'm also thinking of it as a way to replace my desktopthat I use every once in a while.

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

murix

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I might be the only one here with a Surface RT, Surface 2, and Surface Pro 2. I actively still use all three along with a 13" MacBook Air. I know. Poor me.

The only con is price and weight. The SP2 is noticeably faster, especially in multitasking. You also get the stylus input of course along with more storage.

I actually prefer the S2 simply due to its thinner profile and lower weight. Much nicer for consumption although the SP2 is perfectly capable while also serving as your desktop replacement. I pair it with a BT keyboard/mouse and a 23" monitor for desktop duty. To be fair I do the same with my S2, but I have a need for virtualization and x86 apps, which the SP2 handles like a champ.

The weight gain is justified though as now ī leave my 13" MacBook Air at home. I think the SP2 with Win 8 is faster anyway. It is really a win win situation if you can afford it. If they can get the weight and profile down to the size of the S2 it would be perfect.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not just doing it for iTunes, that's for sure. I'm also thinking of it as a way to replace my desktopthat I use every once in a while.
I still say look at an 8" tablet like the Asus note 8 with a docking station. It'll have the same basic functionality as a surface2, is cheaper then a surface2, and you'll like holding it as a basic reader a lot better then the surface 2 or surface pro2.
I have a surface pro 2 and a dell venue 8 pro, and started on a surface rt. I wish i would've started with the 8" one, since i can do a whole lot with it. the drawback of the dv8p is the dropping of support for the Wacom stylus, which Asus picked up on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12