Static electricity discharge when touching the power button to turn on the Surface

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

Several times, I've had a strong static electricity discharge when wanting to turn on my SP2.
This morning, after the "shock", It didn't turn on anymore, until I plug the power and wait some minutes, making me discover that the battery was certainly completly empty... but the day before there was still a 50-60% of battery charge when I turned it off.

My questions:
- can a static electricity discharge drain the battery?? Or was it a coincidence?
- are static electricity discharges (I mean when you use/touch the tablet, e.g. the power button) dangerous for the Surface? I imagine no, otherwise there would be a lot of job for the repair centers...

Your opinions?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
A static discharge from you will not drain a battery. So it was coincidence. I'm taking a stab and saying that maybe your Surface didn't shutdown properly.

Since the power button is physical the likelihood of static causing any issues to the Surface is unlikely. If you were discharging on a chip or directly to the circuit board then that would be a different situation. The only real worry would be if the charge you built up in yourself was high enough for a 'jump' to happen but I don't see this as plausible.

If you want to avoid doing this in the future I recommend touching something metal beforehand to discharge yourself. Doesn't hurt to be safe around anything electronic as static can severely damage electronics.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon