Cleaning my Surface Keyboard

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My goodness, My Surface Touch Cover is a bit grimy/dirty looking...I am actually embarrassed to take it out and use it haha.

I have the Cyan touch cover and the keyboard is a bit dirty looking.

What is the best way to clean it without damaging or messing anything up?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Stick it in the dish washer! LOL jk, don't do this.

They are different ways to do it:
The Touch cover has no mechanical part, and is enclosed in rubber. That gives you the power to make it easier to clean. HOWEVER, watch out the connector area. The whole plastic strip that connects to the Surface, and metal contact. Liquid can penetrate in that area.

So, you should be able to use water and dish soap to clean it with lightly wet sponge. Of course, don't soak the keyboard for rinsing, just use a clean soap free sponge, remove most of it's water, and pass it over. That is what I do with my touch pad on my TypeCover 2. Of course, it's harder for me, I dont' want any drop of water to go in the keys. I recommend this solution, ONLY if it's particularly dirty, else, read the next method bellow.

The safest way, is to use a lightly damp, lint free, micro fiber cloth with just water or water + white vinegar (75-25 mix - ideally you don't want your type cover to smell white vinegar, so less the better) solution, you can also use lens cleaner solution. Spray on cloth, and clean.

The reason why I don't suggest screen cleaners, which would work fine, is that many have added products inside to repeal dust, which will make it leave marks on the screen, when you close the keyboard and carry the device somewhere. This may or may not be an issue depending on the product.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
just a sponge or dishcloth (does anyone still use dishcloths? :smile:) damp with soapy water. Really, you'll be amazed how clean you can get that keyboard. If something won't come off with soapy water, then we can escalate the cleaning solution to match the specific stain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss