Win 8.1 recommended and optional updates: On or Off?

sneak3

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Should I leave the "give me recommended updates" on or off, at the windows update settings?

I started wondering about that when I received tons of recommended updates and couldn't figure out which one was worth installing. Microsoft's information is shamelessly bad. Now I'm thinking that blindly installing everything they push might end up ruining my surface pro. I'm on the 3rd hard reset due to bad updates, but I'm not sure what caused the errors.

Could RECOMMENDED updates be bad?

And what about OPTIONAL updates?

What do you think?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Recommended updates are a good idea to leave on, since they include security updates.

I've never had optional updates on to automatically install, though, on any version of Windows. I decide on my own if I want those or not.

The_New_Normal

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Firmware are IMPORTANT updates, which is presumably what you are both calling RECOMMENDED
I have it set to check, but let me decide on installation.
It's a bit manual (need to install security updates every day), but worth it to avoid bad firmware.

IMO firmware updates should NEVER be automatic

sneak3

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Nope. There's important, recommended and optional.

I always install the important ones, but recommended I'm not sure. Optional rarely.

The_New_Normal

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
...I always install the important ones...

If you're worried about errors with updates, disabling automatic firmware changes may be a good place to start. Why that's the default position I will never understand.

You are correct regarding the three types; I was mistaken after reading Laura equate recommended with security updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb