Opinions for choosing tablet

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
This year I will enter to a university so I want a tablet to carry around and take notes . I have looked several tablets and read some reviews from tech sites and amazon and I am between the galaxy note 10.1 2014 which cost 350? the surface pro 2 128gb which cost 400? without type cover and Asus t100 at 320? 64gb version. So I want your opinion on which one should I buy

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
All are pretty decent options. And have different advantages. But if you are looking to use it like a PC I would suggest the Surface Pro 2. It has better performance than the Asus t100 and Galaxy note. But the Surface Pro 2 also has a digitizer for handwriting as well as a detachable keyboard. If you are looking to have flexibility along with being more capable the Surface Pro 2 wins easily.

Hope this is helpful!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would choose the Surface Pro 2 personally.

Galaxy tablets are pretty much like giant smartphones with extra functionality like most these days, and its worked well, but in this case I wouldn't spring for an iOS or Android tablet for school.

The T100 is a fine option, being pretty much a netbook, and is OK for light usage, but I'd pick the Pro 2 because its practically in its own class.

I guess it comes down to,
a big smartphone vs a netbook vs an ultrabook, esp. it seems the Pro 2 isn't too much more, but you'll want the type cover.

NeoGrandizer

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I have no issues with the desktop mode on my SP2.

I have both the original Note 10.1 and SP2. Both have Wacom digitizers and can be used for note taking. However the SP2 is a much more capable device running a full desktop OS. The Note 10.1 is more about portability (it is less bulky and much lighter). However, the Note 10.1 has limitations on what you can do with it. I hit that limitation really quick when I had to find alternatives for Office and other apps I use. Even with the alternatives available to Android, it is limited on what it can accomplish (unlike the SP2 which runs full desktop programs).

Overall, I am happy with my upgrade to the SP2 from my Note 10.1. I also considered the Note 10.1 2014 as well as the Note Pro (with the larger screen) at the time. But the SP2 was a more flexible and capable device running a full desktop OS and able to run full desktop software. The advantages of that alone are well worth it for me. I use it with the Power Cover which gives me that much more needed juice (I kill the batteries in 8 hours or so of use). The missing backlight feature on the cover doesn't bother me as I don't look at the keyboard anyways when typing.

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your opinions . I will go for surface pro 2 as it costs 50 ? more than note 10.1 and has way better specs and abilities

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
This year I will enter to a university so I want a tablet to carry around and take notes . I have looked several tablets and read some reviews from tech sites and amazon and I am between the galaxy note 10.1 2014 which cost 350? the surface pro 2 128gb which cost 400? without type cover and Asus t100 at 320? 64gb version. So I want your opinion on which one should I buy

I would personally go for the Surface Pro 2.

The Galaxy Note tablets are also slow.

They aren't that slow however they probably won't offer the level of functionality that a Surface 2 might.

But then again, I haven't used either. :p

NeoGrandizer

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
The Galaxy Note tablets are also slow.
I've owned the original Note LTE, Note 2 and original Note 10.1. The only real 'slow' Note was the first iteration (understandable as it was the first in its class). The other Notes that followed were not that bad. Yes, they did lag at times, but that was because I've bogged down its resources. Otherwise, they functioned fine without much of any issues. The Note 10.1 is still used, but mainly for light duty tasks and some multimedia.

The only real issue with going to a Note is its limited functionality (Android is more tailored as a mobile OS). The apps available are still limited to its phone counterparts (despite it being a tablet) and cannot compare to a full fledged desktop application. That is where the SP2 beats out iOS and Android as it runs a full desktop OS.

Personally, the SP2 is great and I carry it with me when away. I like being able to wire it to a network and not use wireless (more secure and faster connection) and also connecting an external HDD without the need for additional power. Some things I couldn't do with the Note 10.1.

Andrew Elliott

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
This year I will enter to a university so I want a tablet to carry around and take notes . I have looked several tablets and read some reviews from tech sites and amazon and I am between the galaxy note 10.1 2014 which cost 350€ the surface pro 2 128gb which cost 400€ without type cover and Asus t100 at 320€ 64gb version. So I want your opinion on which one should I buy

Can i just ask where you found a surface pro 2 128 gb for 400 euros? Im looking at getting one soon and the best price i can find is 599.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6