NAS off the USB 3.0 docking station?

touchpad4760

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Folks,
A bit of a time-critical question, as I'm looking at Cyber Monday deals, so:

Can I hang a desktop NAS off the docking station's USB 3.0 and have it appear to the rest of my home network - REGARDLESS of whether the SP2 is currently docked, or not? My docking station is connected via Ethernet to my network router.

Thanks,
Chris

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You mean you have a USB3 drive you want to connect to your docking station? Or is it a NAS? If the only thing that makes it a NAS is that it's connected to your docking station and your SP2 then it's not a NAS. I don't think the docking station can be used as a router, which is generally what you're after. A NAS has network software, usually Linux, as a means of connection via Ethernet or WiFI to the network.

If the NAS has a USB connection it's usually to extend the storage capabilities rather than provide an additional connection method. Meaning you can add a USB drive to that NAS.

A link would have been helpful.

Last edited:

touchpad4760

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's the WD My Cloud EX2 2-bay: WD My Cloud EX2 Diskless Personal Cloud Storage - Reliable, high-performance, two-bay NAS - WDBVKW0000NCH-NESN at TigerDirect.com

NAS are exclusively Ethernet anymore - many can be found w/ USB 3.0, esp. 2-bay incarnations.

I guess I'm wondering if the docking station's USB 3.0 port can be seen by the network, regardless of the presence of the SP2. Again, my docking station is cabled to my network router via Ethernet.

You are incorrect.

The NAS doesn't connect via USB. The two ports in the back are for extending the storage. The Ethernet connection is the only way to get a Network connection or if it had WiFi capabilities, which it doesn't.

You could have looked at the user manual to understand this.

Also to answer your other question. I don't see a docking station acting like a router as it doesn't have any IP software. The tablet and W8 supply that.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, N_LaRUE is 100% correct about the NAS device you mentioned.

Also the Surface Docking Station without a Surface in it will not act as a network controller for external storage. Basically your plan is destroyed from all angles. Sorry :/

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Lastly USB does not work with IP addresses. A NAS doesn't require USB connection to connect to your PC as you can connect directly to it with the Ethernet cable. Most modern NAS have built in crossover capabilities.

touchpad4760

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for pointing out that particular WD product connection - but Tiger's product page listed "Connectivity" as USB 3.0, so that's what misled me. There *is* a WD 2-bay NAS that connects w/ USB 3.0 - their "My Book Duo".

But the real dagger is berty's reply. Thus, this configuration won't work. Thanks for sorting it out quickly, folks.

-C

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for pointing out that particular WD product connection - but Tiger's product page listed "Connectivity" as USB 3.0, so that's what misled me. There *is* a WD 2-bay NAS that connects w/ USB 3.0 - their "My Book Duo".

But the real dagger is berty's reply. Thus, this configuration won't work. Thanks for sorting it out quickly, folks.

-C
Again you misunderstand. Not to beat you up but you seem to lack understanding in what makes a NAS a NAS.

The Duo is a USB drive. Not a NAS. NAS means 'Network Attached Storage'. You cannot attach a drive to a network with USB only unless the device you are attaching it to has network capabilities, a PC (acting as a server) or a router with USB capabilities. In which case it is not a NAS but a USB drive.

A NAS has server software and network connection, meaning Ethernet or WiFi. This allows any device with permissions to access the drive and provides you, in the case of cloud drives, cloud storage via an app or internet interface.

A NAS will connect to your router directly if it has enough ports in it. There is no need for an additional hardware.

I'm taking a stab and think you might not have a router but connecting directly to the modem? Either that or you have a very old router.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
N_LaRUE is 100% correct. Just because it has multiple drives does NOT make it a NAS. A NAS by definition requires a network connection, either wired or WIFI.

Now, the mycloud ex2 you linked IS a NAS though (network port on the back) and thus, you do not need to use your dock for that. under "Connectivity" the USB ports are for expanding it by plugging additional USB drives. Those ports are NOT to be plugged into a PC. With that said, not sure why you wanted to plug that into the Surface dock, unless you don't have a free port on your router.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett