Surface pro 2 charger cable replacement

Mohamed Baher

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
The charger plug of my surface pro 2 charger has been broken (wires were cut and plug is cracked)
I thought of fixing it instead of buying a new one as the surface pro 2 accessories are not easily found in Egypt and if I order online it will cost alot
I found some stores on Amazon selling charging cables that can be attached to power banks and they have the surface pro 2 plug at the end so that you can use power banks to charge the surface
My idea is to cut that cable and solder it to the original cable that came with the tablet pc inorde to replace the faulty plug
My question is there a specific wire color code arrangement in order to get things working?
I still didn't cut the faulty plug and see the covered wire colors as I'm waiting for your guide.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about the small cable from the plug to the brick that can be detached? If so any cable of the right shape works, I bought one in a normal shop for next to nothing. If you have an old stereo/cd-player around it might even have that cable and it will work, no cutting required.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
As ioniro is asking, which cable?
The cable for the wall to the charger is simple and should hold no wiring confusion. The cable for the charger to the Surface is also quite simple. The plug can be connected either way around, so the feeds are duplicated end for end.

The outer two, (one each end, left to right, let's say they are #1 and #5) are ground.

The next two (#2 and #4) are 12v

The middle one (#3) is "control" which I assume is for the Power-Type-Cover to read the battery voltage in the cover. That one may be difficult to detect with a multimeter as it may well appear to be a ground (open) and thus confused with #1 and/or #5. But, there would not be continuity between #1 and #3, and #5 and #3, but there will be continuity between #1 and #5.

As with ALL advice from the faceless, but well meaning, forum members the RISK must be entirely yours to assume if something goes wrong. That includes advice from me! If you have any doubts, then better just buy a new charger from msoft. It may be false economy to save 100-bucks and fry the Surface.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The figure 8 connector was faulty, i ordered a new 2 meter on on amazon for ?2 - I also called Microsoft and told them I wanted a new one and they sent me a brand new brick and wire! - note - my SP2 was 2 months OUTSIDE of warranty :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett