How can I get a Surface 2 Pro US-EN restore image for Win 8.0?

Jim Rice

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I need a Surface 2 Pro US-EN restore image for Win 8.0

I had to reset my Surface Pro 2, so I downloaded and successfully installed the Restore image from the MS website. However, it turned out to be Win 8.1, and since my Surface came with Win 8.0, my product key (that I got out of UEFI) will not work. I don't want to purchase a Win 8.1 key.

Does anyone have a download location for the Win 8.0 EN-US recovery file?

Thanks!
JimR

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Re: I need a Surface 2 Pro US-EN restore image for Win 8.0

For one, the Pro 2 didn't ever come with Windows 8.0. Secondly, the same keys should work for both. You also shouldn't have to actually manually input it. The OS is supposed to automatically activate with the internal key, so I'm not sure what is going on with your device.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: I need a Surface 2 Pro US-EN restore image for Win 8.0

An 8.0 key only applies to 8.0. You can upgrade to 8.1 for free from 8.0 but if you have an 8.0 key you must start at 8.0 and then upgrade. I went through that pain. The original Surface Pro came with 8.0 Pro. The Surface Pro 2 shipped with 8.1 Pro.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Jim, you are playing in a dangerous area.
We need to understand more. When you went to the msoft download site, did it ask for the serial number? If so, then it would have sent you the appropriate file 8.0 or 8.1 for your device.
How do you know the current keys are no good? Have you checked the "System" page for "Activation?"

Now the risky bit, but ALL YOUR RISK OK?
Charms
PC Settings
Update and Recovery
Recovery
Restart Now

Going from memory now, look for "Change BIOS settings" or "Change UEFI settings"
Do that and it will boot into the UEFI BOS.

There are two options mentioning the Keys. One I think is "Restore keys" do that, reboot and then check the System page for Activation.

{edit}
Personally I would use the msoft Media Installation Tool and skip the old set-up. You will save a LOT of disk space.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett