My SP2 battery is boiling hot after upgrading to Win 10. How does one report this?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I know. I upgraded one of my SP2 machines (the secondary or backup machine) to Windows 10. The machine is always running and gets hot easily with the fan running at full speed. I have to shut down that machine to ensure it doesn't run. I assume it's because Windows 10 is much better at waking up and checking for updates. Shutdown is the only way to ensure it doesn't wake up.

My main SP2 machine is still Windows 8.1 and will be for the foreseeable future until some Windows 10 kinks are worked out.

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm suffering the same fate. It's to the point that I can't comfortably hold my SP2 Pro in my hand while using like I could before. It just gets way too hot. Watched my battery drop 20% in less than 30 minutes yesterday and the only thing I was doing was reading a book on my Kindle app. I wonder if MS is even going to address this for the SP2 since it's already a discontinued device.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
It is really sad that it takes MS so long to address this indeed. We paid for a premium product but I feel more and more that they ignore that..

Christopher Morrow

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. I am running into the exact same issue...had to downgrade to Windows 8.1 so that I can use it without having my hands sweat...you would think they would have validated that THEIR products worked well before release...go figure.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have 2 Surface Pro 2 machines and 1 Surface 3 machine. I upgraded and then clean installed Windows 10 to a SP2 machine and the S3 machine. But my primary machine is still Windows 8.1.

Until Windows 10 is fixed, my main machine will keep 8.1. Too many little problems. Don't get me wrong. I love the direction of Windows 10. But the mail app is broken (especially if you have gmail). OneDrive is broken (no true external drive support). My SP2 always is going in high CPU/battery usage for no real apparent reason (all the stuff running is only background Microsoft stuff).

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: my sp2 battery is boiling hot after upgrade to win 10. how does one report this

While mine is warm, it doesnt get very hot...I have been using it while holding in my hands without any problems. Sorry to hear you guys are experiencing this hopefully it does get addressed

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here... Significantly hotter than it was under W8.1, and my battery life was easily halved... even after a full reset. I reluctantly went back to 8.1 and am going to stick with it until I hear of fixes to 10. I'd like to be consistent across all my machines, but there's basically nothing I can do in 10 that I can't do in 8 short of using Cortana, and I far prefer 8.1's implementation of Onedrive.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've written about this in a couple threads, but the thing I've noticed is that when Win10 is first installed it does a lot of disk/CPU heavy stuff. I mean a lot. Which of courses taxes the system and battery. I had the same problems as I upgraded my Win8.1 system up to Win10. It was ridiculous. I could see from task manager that something was using a lot of CPU.

Two things: leave it plugged in and running for a while if you just upgraded. Also, go into advanced power management and make sure make a power saver profile. I find for most consumption tasks I can run the SP2 in a power saver profile and it does everything fine. I go to the balanced profile only to do dev work or game.

Try factory reset. This I stumbled upon by accident and is admittedly anecdotal. I factory reset (thinking I was going to trade in for SP4) which took my machine back to Win8. Then (when I didn't trade) I re-installed Win10 using the standard media creation tool. When it finished I had the above heavy disk/CPU/heat problem for about an hour or so. However, now it's running fine and this actually fixed some issues I had in my original upgrade from 8.1->10. This is as close to a "clean" install as I've had on this machine and there may be something to that. Of course, not being my primary work computer it was easy for me to wipe. YMMV.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
No, you're probably mixing two situations and coming to the wrong conclusion. Chances are good that when you did your Windows 8.1 to 10 upgrade, it was with an earlier version of Windows 10. And that version of Windows 10 ran the SP2 hard (seen as hot, constant fan usage and heavy battery drain). The ISO/USB that's available now is the 1511 version which runs better. In fact, each update of Windows 10 is running better and better.

I did a 8.1 to 10 upgrade on my SP2 at the very beginning to register my SP2 so I wouldn't need a product key anymore. Than I clean wiped the machine to 10 (the first version of 10). All the problems that people complained about even after the clean installation. But now with the newer updates of Windows, Windows 10 is starting to perform well on the SP2.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
After a few updates my SP2 has began to get hotter with use, and A LOT of crashing/processing issues (i5, 4GB model). Not impressed with how the SP2 is handling minimal processing on Win10, its not like the processor is ancient or anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3