Can I install a driver on my Pro 2 that will allow use of Pro 3 pen?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a Surface Pro 2 which uses a WACOM pen. The Surface Pro 3, Surface 3 and Pro 4 use N-Trig. Can I use the new pen if the appropriate driver is installed on my Pro 2?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I have both the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Pro 2. The Wacom is really better. It's a shame that Microsoft couldn't buy Wacom. There's only a couple scenarios where the new pen on the SP4 is better than the Wacom pen with the SP2 and that's when going right up to the edge of the screen and also having the ink closer to the surface. But in terms of art and Photoshop, I find it easier with Wacom. Also, the moment the tip of the Wacom pen hits the screen, it registers. But with the N-Trig pen, it takes a hair of a second to begin inking. A scenario where I really noticed this was signing my name on a PDF. With the Wacom, my signature was correct but with the N-Trig, the first half of the first letter would be blank or missing because the pen wasn't inking yet. So when I'm constantly picking up and dropping the pen on the screen like when I'm sketching, with the Wacom I don't worry about missing strokes. But with the SP4 pen, I do a slight pause to make sure it starts inking.

You can use any Wacom pens (well, the pens that use Wacom digitizer technology; not the newer capacitive pens meant to capture the iPad crowd using the Wacom name and not having actual Wacom technology) with the Surface Pro 2. I have a wide variety of pens including the Bamboo Stylus feel carbon. The great thing about the Bamboo pen is it comes with a variety of nibs so you can have any textured feel you like. The disadvantage of the Bamboo pen is it lacks an eraser on the end like the SP2 pen has. Then again, Photoshop doesn't recognize the eraser on the SP2 pen either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb