Surface Pro 2 will not Power up, any idea why?

David Homan

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Surface Pro 2 will not Power up

Have had the Surface Pro 2 for a couple of years now and have replaced the power cable, keyboard etc as time has gone by which had been fine for a couple of months.

A few weeks ago the keyboard was no longer recognized. I have a number of other Surfaces in the house so checked with other keyboards - no luck. Upgraded to Windows 10 in the hope that perhaps this might fix the issue.

Instead the Surface no longer charges. Have interchanged the power cable with other devices and the cable itself is fine. The light at the power point on the surface is not working either.

As I can no longer charge the surface the fact that the keyboard is not working is no longer an issue :)
Battery is now totally dead

Any ideas?

Not the light is not on, the charger is perfectly fine - double checked, used other chargers.
The device does not seem to recognise that it has a power source.

Last edited:

David Homan

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
The power light is off but power cable is attached (and works fine - nothing wrong with cable).
It worked for months and now the port seems to be useless - cannot power the device

gacleader1

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
This won't help you, but it will help others.

Mine turned out to be an aftermarket charger. If I could start the computer after doing a power reset, and then plugged it in, it would charge if the computer was on; the light would also be on. It would not charge in sleep mode though. If the cord was plugged in, it would not turn on, and if I unplugged the cord, it also would not turn on unless I did the reset. One day, for some reason, I put it in my docking station, and everything was good again through 50 plus attempts. I then tried the aftermarket charger, and once again, it would not turn on if plugged in, and the problem would continue until I either did the reset, or I put it in the docking station. Once connected to the docking station, I could then turn off the computer, unplug it, and it would start fine, either plugged into the docking station, or on battery power.

By mistake, I also bought a 24 watt charter for the RT, and guess what? It works great too, and also charges in sleep mode.

So since you say you tried another charger that you know works, then this advice won't be of any help to you; but for anyone else, if you have a docking station, or want to spend a few bucks on a different charger, it might be worth a try. I had a hard time believing that if it would charge while turned on, that it could in any way be the charger, and I still do not understand why a charger that delivers power will prevent a computer from starting. too much power perhaps? Too little? Pins in the wrong place? I have no idea. I did try flipping the connector over, but that did not help either.

If anyone who olives in Charlotte North Carolina wants to try to start their Surface Pro 2 with my charger before making a purchase, let me know.

Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos