So I've had this issue with my SP2 since...I want to say since the last major update. I frequently use my SP2 to watch TV through various streaming services and since that last major update it takes a lot of work to get audio to come through to the TV through audio.

To go back a bit, I've used the microsoft Displayport to HDMI adapter since I bought my SP2, about two years ago. At first I thought it was my HDMI cord, as I have had to replace it before, so I got a new one, same problem. I first noticed the problem when I was out of town working, so I thought maybe the hotel TV had an issue. I got home, plugged into the same TV I have had since I got my SP2, and same issue. No audio. Display works fine, windows says audio device is there but no sound. Says sound is playing, but nothing.

I tried the HDMI cord I use for my Xbox, and both ports on the back of my TV. I went and bought a new DisplayPort to HDMI, same problem.

Right now I have to boot up windows, do a test to see if audio is working (it never works on the first boot). Then I reboot my SP2, do another test, if it doesn't work I switch the default format around, and usually that gets it. I've looked around a few places and have not found a definite answer. Hoping for some help here.

Thanks.
    05-04-2016 07:58 PM
    So I installed the latest Intel drivers, the manual way to bypass the surface ones. Audio was working last night (but I had already previously done the trick prior to installing the drivers) and now when I loaded up today still same problem, no audio on first boot, and almost any video playing is really slow like it's constantly buffering, but it's not.
    05-05-2016 08:42 PM
    Still no one with anything on this? Tried phoning Surface Support (finally) and their only solution was for me to take my table to a microsoft store. The nearest store is about 1300 kilometers...
    02-20-2017 02:50 PM
    after you plug your Surface Pro 2 to your TV, take a screenshot of your playback devices so you can get some help...

like this:

02-20-2017 07:27 PM
    Are you still having this issue? What app do you use to play videos? I get audio just fine through HDMI, playing video files with Movies & TV or VLC. I am running Windows 1803 and the default audio and video drivers on my SP2.
    10-18-2018 09:34 AM