Power cover recognise as type cover

malep

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi There,

I just got myself a power cover but I can't see it charging.

When I check into device Manager for keyboard it indicates a "type cover" only and not a "power cover".
I tried to clean up connectors
When connect and disconnect only "type cover" pops up in the device manager.

The battery icone shows either 0% or 100% for the secondary battery

powercfg/batteryreport gives
same name for battery 2 as battery 1
different manufacturer
different Serial numbers.
Capacities are not shown (and never has been) for either of them
cycle count is only available for battery 1.

Any Ideas ?

malep

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Sent it back to the seller as I was unable to recharge the cover. I tried every tricks I could find on the net.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
@malep, This is an ancient topic, I know, but I just felt I had to comment because I went through something similar. I just got a Surface Pro 2 and I got a Power Cover and I had a similar issue. First, when I connected it, the Surface didn't recognise it. So I found out there's a paper label covering the connectors of the Power Cover, I removed it, tried again, nothing.

I then tried installing the .inf driver files for the Power Cover from the 2016 Surface Pro 2 update that was released. Still nothing. But then it started working, so I think, for me, I had to wait for the Surface to charge fully first, then, after that, the Power Cover battery started to charge and then, once both are charged fully, it worked as normal and I could see both batteries and their battery level from the battery icon in the system tray.

Also, the Power Cover is essentially a Type Cover, minus the ability to light up the keys, but you do get the extra battery to make up for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon