Signature Type Cover

Petucky

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Do you think the new Surface Pro Signature Type Cover (Platinum) is the same as previously sold two-tone "Surface Pro 4 Signature Type Cover"?
I wanted to buy that one in US next time I go there, but cannot find it now in the Store...

According to pictures, it is different :(

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
The new one is supposed to be functionally better (especially the trackpad), but they made it the same price as the older one that had a fingerprint reader, and removed the fingerprint reader. That is kind of strange. I assume the older ones would also work on the new Surface Pro.

airslap

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking everywhere for information on the new type covers. So they are supposed to be functionally better? Where did you find that info? I was just about to get my current pro 4 covered swapped to the now old alacantra cover and I'm not sure if I should wait for the new ones because I couldn't tell if anything, functionality wise or build wise was different. Any sources would be great.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site

airslap

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I wonder why Windows Central hasn't mentioned it as far as I could see in the articles on the new Surface Pro. I could be wrong there but I haven't read anything on it. Even the black one looks like its alcantara now I think. Wonder what the key travel is on the pro 4 keyboards.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
The video of the announcement wasn't immediately available, so most people were reporting based on 2nd hand info... that's why I posted the video here.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
No, the black one is standard. Hence, the cheaper cost. All the new alcantara keyboards are the same pricing as the gray alcantara keyboard that is currently out for the Surface Pro 4. I have one of those and I like it a lot. It looks more expensive and feels better. It is somewhat stain resistant but does stain over time no matter how fastidious you are. Then again, regular plastic on desktop keyboards also stain over time (or develop shiny spots on keys as oils remove the coating).

For comparison, I do find the alcantara keyboard a bit more stain resistant than my regular SP4 keyboards (I also have the blue and the teal keyboards).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3