My opinion on the New Surface Pro

Julian Legere

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Why?

It's basically a Surface Pro 4 with better battery and the latest processor.

That new Alcantra keyboard, that new pen, THOSE are the things I say have changed, and you can simply buy them separately.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Well you can say that its only better battery, but that isn't exactly what was communicated in the announcement. Having been through a lot of iPhone "s" upgrades, they were the best ones because they were the most refined. My opinion is that they have put the polish on the platform and improved every aspect of it. Sure, the battery is probably the most noticeable, but in use the other stuff will have an impact on the use. Is it worth the premium price? That is what I'm trying to wrestle with myself right now.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Isn't the kick stand improved as well? That is one thing I really like about the Surfaces.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Phone is different cos many recontract with telco to get subsidized handsets.

Of course things may change in future for PC 💻 with PC phones offer from Telco.

Last edited:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Why?

It's basically a Surface Pro 4 with better battery and the latest processor.

That new Alcantra keyboard, that new pen, THOSE are the things I say have changed, and you can simply buy them separately.

the latency improvements and pen sensitivities in the pen can only be had with the new Surface Pro. they said they're trying to add tilt support to the SP4 but that's not a given considering prior history of adding features post-release.

the surface dial only works on the screen of the Surface Pro and not the older machines. I have the Surface Dial and I don't mind using it off the screen.

the Surface Pro also supports more color profiles besides sRGB. That's important for photography.

it's all up to what you want. some people upgrade cars because it goes 0 to 60 half a second faster than before.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
the latency improvements and pen sensitivities in the pen can only be had with the new Surface Pro. they said they're trying to add tilt support to the SP4 but that's not a given considering prior history of adding features post-release.

the surface dial only works on the screen of the Surface Pro and not the older machines. I have the Surface Dial and I don't mind using it off the screen.

the Surface Pro also supports more color profiles besides sRGB. That's important for photography.

it's all up to what you want. some people upgrade cars because it goes 0 to 60 half a second faster than before.

I think the Dial is too big for on screen use with a 12" screen. I'd love to see them produce a Dial Mini that is half the diameter for SP use.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I think most of the functionality you mentioned is backwards compatible with upcoming firmware updates to older devices.

it's not. for the pen, it required a new chip. just like if you use a SP4 pen on a SP3 screen, you only had SP3 level sensitivity and latency. Microsoft said that tilt was a possibility but not the others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers