Why no clip for the new Surface Pen?

tomstubbs57

Jun 6, 2017
Visit site
One of the problems with the Apple Pencil was that it rolled around on a desk and in your pocket. The clip on the Surface Pen helped keep it stable on a desk and kept it in place in your pocket. Why did MS drop the clip for the Surface Pen? Have any vendors on the secondary market started making a clip for the pen?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
One of the problems with the Apple Pencil was that it rolled around on a desk and in your pocket. The clip on the Surface Pen helped keep it stable on a desk and kept it in place in your pocket. Why did MS drop the clip for the Surface Pen? Have any vendors on the secondary market started making a clip for the pen?

It's magnetic. So I think you can just stick it to the side of the Surface and it'll hold in place. The clip was only really useful prior to the Surface Pro 4 when you used a pen loop to hold the pen.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The Surface Pen is not completely round. So it shouldn't be rolling on a desk.

I would've liked the clip as it would go with my messenger bag better. But they did increase the strength of the magnet so hopefully it doesn't fall off the machine as easily on the Surface Pro 4 where brushing your arm against it can dislodge it.

dstrauss

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
No amount of magnet strength is going to keep the pen from dislodging in your bag, or worse still, being knocked off in a crowded hallway.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
All the early hands on reviews say the new pen magnet is much stronger than the one on the older pen; and they say it should alleviate much of the problem of it falling off in the bag. A silo in the device would be best, but the magnet I guess is the next best thing. I can't see myself walking around with it clipped in my shirt pocket.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
The magnet has gotten stronger ("a lot" stronger on my SB, than on my SP3), and I love that it holds tight to the newer Surface products...and the only time I use the clip is when I pack for a trip. I like to have the pen (mouse, calculator, reading glasses and business cards, for that matter) in their assigned spots in my bag, and this is mostly the time when the clip comes in handy for me, when I'm in a meeting I don't have to guess where things are, they are where they're suppose to be...not at the bottom of the bag, or floor, because I inadvertently caught the pen on the opening, when pulling the device out of the bag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss