Surface Pro for Programming

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That kind of depends.

For learning to program with stuff like Java, Python for example, I have a 2008 Core 2 Duo laptop that will fair perfectly fine.

So if you're doing relatively light work, most any competent computer from the past few years will fair fine.

What you should think about is if you want the Surface Pro's slim form-factor?
Is the typing experience good enough for you?
Is the screen large enough? (probably)

I think we'll want to think about more details before rubberstamping a Surface Pro. But if you're looking for a general purpose computer that's gorgeous and VERY portable at the price of impossible repairs, the Pro fits the bill.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I use my SP3 extensively for programming. It's never let me down in this department. I program using all sorts of programs, IDEs and compilers, and on top of this, I also use VMs in which I program in Linux. Mind you, I frequently also run multiple IDEs and compilers at once, in addition to VMs, because I need to work with code in many places at the same time for testing. (Running SP3 i5/8GB/256GB)

MelMaciel

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Great information! Thanks for the input. I am starting to take some programming classes and wanted the Surface Pro for it versatility but wasn't sure how it would do. Thanks again.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Great information! Thanks for the input. I am starting to take some programming classes and wanted the Surface Pro for it versatility but wasn't sure how it would do. Thanks again.

I do recommend at least 8GB, but for the rest, you should have no problem whatsoever with programming on it, neither now or in the future.

FIY, I use Visual Studio 2017 (user applications), Netbeans (Java), IAR embedded workbench (for embedded devices), Quartus II (for VHDL/FPGA), Notepad++, and more, in addition to stuff in Linux, also for embedded and microcontrollers. On top of that, I've designed entire PCBs on my SP3 without problems.

MelMaciel

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Thank you. I ordered the 16gb variant. All these positive user experiences sets my mind at ease about my investment. I will be using visual studio 2017, learning c++. Thanks again.

slbailey1

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the information! It is great to know I can use the Surface Pro for programming. I am looking at the I5/16gb/512gb ssd version.

kodos78

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
When I first started as a contractor and doing ASP.NET development I had a i5/8GB/256GB Surface Pro 3. It was more than adequate. The fan noise is what made me switch away. Now I use a ThinkPad P50 as my primary development machine but I have a Surface Pro 2017 that I use when I just want to take my work with me places without a bulky 5lb machine.

It works really well for NodeJs development, using Visual Studio Code. Runs Photoshop, can ssh into all of my machines just fine. And is so lightweight I don't even know it is there in my bag. Love it. I think for most programmers it would be fine with an external display.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I use an i5 SP2 for programing and it does the job just fine. Granted there are times a larger screen would come in handy... but correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the SP3/4 have a larger screen?

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I use an i5 SP2 for programing and it does the job just fine. Granted there are times a larger screen would come in handy... but correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the SP3/4 have a larger screen?

Yes, SP3 and SP4 are slightly bigger. Both somewhere around 12 inches (12.3 for SP4 I think). SP2 had under 11 inches right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786