What are you doing without USB-C?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I don't even buy Microsoft's position on that. USB-PD for USB 3.1 was created just for that. It can push out to 100 watts. USB chargers are labeled with how much power they can push. Also, Microsoft still should have that Windows 10 convention to alert a user when a slow charging source is used.

Yeah, the average user has no idea how much amps and watts their charger is.

@onlysublime I respectfully disagree that the Surface Pro will be middle aged in three years. Maybe for the few people who always have to have bleeding edge tech, or those who play the latest HD games (for which the Surface Pro isn't the target demographic), but not the general population. I work in an architect office. We have several computers that are 5-6 years old. They are running old i7-3770k and i7-4770 chips, 16gb ram, with SSD's. Neither are overclocked. We built a new computer last month with the latest motherboards, Kaby lake i7-7700k, 16 gb ram and an SSD, then overclocked by 18%. The new computer beat the other two in a rendering race by only 1 minute. (yes it does it running cooler.) Is the new one better? Absolutely, but it hardly makes the older computers obsolete. Productivity jumps have slowed considerably. The idea that a computer is completely obsolete in 5 years no longer holds water, except of course if you are a gamer. My old DV-6000 from 2007 still runs all the programs (photoshop, autocad, and Sketchup) I need it to and it does it well enough for a work backup working from home. Yes it takes 68 seconds to boot up, and it won't render like my work computer, but that's not what I bought it for. The vast majority of people no longer need to upgrade every 5 years to stay relevant with the technology. Cell phones are still developing rapidly, and may be considered completely obsolete in 5 years, but not computers.

Device turnover with cellphones is slowing too. Used to be 2-3, now its 3-4 and widening.

I think pretty soon it'll get to about the 5 consumers on average apply to PCs.

Moore's law has slowed, and UX differences between smartphones released each year has slowed a lot. Just adding more RAM on a machine that does not much multi-tasking doesn't add a lot. RAM has always been diminishing returns anyway.

Plus there's a degree to which smartphones are being perceived in mature markets now as just a tech appliance, rather than the amazing novelty and status symbol it used to be. Always happens post-adoption phase with new tech.

You are right though, you can have a 5+ old year machine that chugs along running windows 10 for basic tasks just fine, especially if you throw in some upgrades.

My last computer was literally a dell OptiPlex, that I upgraded to 8gb and ssd. Ddr-2, and ran windows 10 just fine, even some games (I actually got gta V running on it, just playably). Graphics card probably matters more for a lot of tasks nowadays, as even 2D graphics will utilise the GPU.

Last edited by a moderator:

HindsKA

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: What are you doing without usb-C?

I didn't buy the 4 because I was sure this one would have it. I don't se the reason why not... You wouldn't need HDMI or USB....

Mr-Gamy

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I was one of the people that was hoping for USB-C on the surface (in combination with A).
I do understand why they didn't add it. But the large companies should be pushing these new technologies.

Why do I want USB type C?
I dream of a super portable system that can turn into a full desktop.
I currently own a SP 4 with 4gb ram, i5 & 128gb SSD. which is not suitable for a decent desktop. So i need to upgrade.
For a desktop experience i need the surface dock. I hoped for USB C on the surface so that the dock would be a USB-C dock. The dock is ridiculously expensive at 240€ and for that money i want a dock that is future proof and usable with my other USB-c devices (like my smartphones, or someday an other portable destkop/laptop/tablet device). Not a dock that will someday (close in the future) be useless.

I was ready for a big investment the change my 7 year old pc to an ultraportable system.
Surface Pro (with usb c)
Surface Dock
Lumia 950
Samsung Portable SSD
Gopro hero 5
Big portable battery pack with USB C

Surface products are expensive. I have no problem paying premium prices to get the best. love my SP 4.
But 2000€+ for the upgrade to an ultra portable system is just not worth it without USB C.

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

When I got my Surface Pro 3 it wasn't an issue but my plans to upgrade to the SP5 were cancelled because of the lack of Thunderbolt 3 (I couldn't care less about USB-C as a port if it's just USB 3.1, it's the lack of TB3 that's an issue).

The two main reasons I wanted TB3 are the many options of docking stations and support for FireWire (I have some old devices that use it and cost more than a Surface Pro...). With Thunderbolt you can use a simple adapter (Apple sells one) to connect FW hardware, without it I'm forced to keep my old desktop around until I decide which non Surface laptop I go for next...

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I can't see that is a real issue. You have to go out of your way to find a peripheral that plugs into a USB-C port. I have a 950/950XL and Pixel, all with USB-C, all came with USB-C to A charge cables.

That said, I think replacing the DP with a USB-C/Thunderbolt port would have been very nice. Keep the existing A port. For those that actually use that DP, you just need a dongle or the right cable, to replace the dongle or cable you are currently using. It would however have provided the opportunity to connect a USB-C dock, maybe even the Lumia Display Dock. There would have been the built in option for two USBs for file transfers, one Ethernet, one USB, two USB monitors, a number of options that don't exist now. You could potentially have charged the Surface from that port. (My XPS 15 charges off the USB-C or the usual coaxial barrel charger.) It would have increased the flexibility tremendously while causing very few issues for current Surface owners upgrading.

Nicekiwi

Jul 2, 2017
Visit site
I have a USB-C phone, but never need to charge it from the Surface, and while it would be nice to charge with USB-C instead of the proprietary cable.. eh its not really an issue.

I don't use anything that transfers data over USB-C.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My GL552 has a USB type C and I've never needed it. WC has made a big deal about it without putting any thought on it if its really needed or not.

Jefe32

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

I wonder if it would have been possible to put 3.1 gen 2 USB A port. Same speed just normal usb port not usb c. I don't know if a separate chip/controller would have been needed. My motherboard's back port has one and its not a normal blue looking 3.0 port but a lighter blue color.

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
This isn't about charging your phone. You can charge your phone with USB-A as well.

There's a lot of confusion over USB 3.1 (which can use Type A or Type C ports) and Thunderbolt 3 (which uses the same Type C port and supports all the USB 3.1 features) and WinCentral keeps confusing their readers more by using these terms interchangeably.

I don't really care if Surface devices get USB 3.1 Type C ports, if it's not TB3 I still won't buy it.

So far most Thunderbolt 3 peripherals are docking stations and external GPU cases. There are a few drives as well.

Maybe this isn't something you need right now or ever but as USB-C is now the only port on Macbooks and it's available on pretty much all other high end laptops (those that cost like a Surface) as well as most new phones it's only a matter of time before it's the standard for all new peripherals as well.

Personally I don't replace my laptop every year. If I'm going to spend $1500+ on a new one it needs to support the new standard port so I don't regret the purchase in a year.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
OMG! I am SO happy that MS missed the USB C port as this has just been announced. A new standard.

USB 3.2 specification doubles USB Type-C bandwidth - Peripherals - News - HEXUS.net

Time to buy all of those devices again that support the new tech. Oh, hang on, I'd better read the article first. You'll require new cables and new devices but at least it'll be backwards compatible. This stuff always makes me laugh and people soak up the marketing each and every single time.

P.s. I still only own one USB c device which features a 3.1 connector on the other end. I still only know one person, in this entire company, that owns a usb c device (me).

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this isn't something you need right now or ever but as USB-C is now the only port on Macbooks and it's available on pretty much all other high end laptops (those that cost like a Surface) as well as most new phones it's only a matter of time before it's the OLD standard for all CURRENT peripherals as well.

Personally I don't replace my laptop every year. If I'm going to spend $1500+ on a new one it needs to support the new standard port so I don't regret the purchase in a year.

Which means that, even if it supported USB C, you'd regret the purchase as an update is now available.

P.s. I do own a Microsoft 950 with a USB c port.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I have a couple of USB-C phones, but I never worry about not being able to connect them to any of several computers or chargers because I always can. From this I conclude that I must have adapter cables that are male Type A on one end and male Type C on the other. On the off chance I might someday have to grab a cable from the tangle that happens to be Type C on both ends, I picked up a one-piece male A to female C adapter. Still haven't had a use for it, though.

I don't doubt that there are situations in which USB-C connectivity may be an issue, but this is a long way from being a universal problem for the overall user base.

htc fan89

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
Usb c port is so useful for charging like on my Mac, I can charge either from the left or right . Plus my usb c phones like gs8+ fits perfectly, I hate that Microsoft didn't go with usb c. But I'm over it hopefully surface pro 5 has it

owencamo

Jul 29, 2017
Visit site

I was looking forward to the release of the new Surface Pro. Lack of USB type C is an absolute deal breaker. I was even hoping that it might have come with a Thunderbolt 3. What a disappointment. Not even a single USB type C. What were they thinking?

All these replies that say it doesnt bother them now. See how they feel 1-2 years from now when they are messing around with a dongle and everything worth anything uses USB type C. And Microsoft, dont tell me that I love dongles because I like to have a USB type C. Deal breaker - yes.

SeanD_Colorado

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
So, in short I will have to mess around with Dongles for my 2016 MBP, which only has USB-C ports, for 1-2 years, followed by having to mess around with dongles for my new Surface Pro, which does not have USB-C for 1-2 years. Meh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster