New Surface Pro Dock, type cover, pen, screen protector ?

xtophe

Jun 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi!
I wonder : is there gonna be a new version of the surface dock for the surface pro 2017 or do we have to buy the one for the surface pro 4? (I've just bought an i5/256/8 surface pro). If so, when is it going to be available?
Same question applies for the type cover BTW. Is the new alcantara type cover specifically designed for the SP 2017?
I know that the pen is different, don't know when it's going to be available though...
And ... what about screen protectors ? Are those for the SP4 compatible with the new SP?
Thx for your answers.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
There probably won't be a new Surface Dock, as the current one works just fine and is cross compatible with the Surface Pro 3/4/2017 models.
The Type Cover is also cross compatible with the models mentioned above and is nearly identical to the Pro 4 Alcantara Type Cover aside from new color options.
The Pen is a marked improvement but the new Pro will see all the improvements while the Pro 3/4 will still see improvements, but not nearly as noticeable.
Screen protectors that worked with the Pro 4 should definitely work with the new Pro but I always recommend using screen protectors made specifically for your device as they tend to be more reliable.

xtophe

Jun 11, 2017
Visit site
Ok, thanks for the answer! I agree with you about the screen protectors. Going to wait a bit.
I'll just buy a pro 4 dock for the moment, wait for the new type cover and pen to be available. Still don't know if i'll use skins to protect the device. Don't like the look of them, but don't want scratches either... Thanks again !

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I haven't used a screen protector in many years and haven't had a problem with scratches. Unless you are in a harsh environment, I'm not sure the reason why you'd need it.

xtophe

Jun 11, 2017
Visit site
@convergent : I had one on my SP2 (still have BTW). Thought that was the sensible thing to do, but you might be right. So, maybe I won't get one after all. And anyway, was just checking them out on Amazon but can't really decide on which one to buy : many very different prices, don't know if they're the same quality, or wether they will alter the touch sensitivity...

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
the new Type Covers are going to be the new covers. Once the older covers are gone from stock, they will no longer be available. So you'll be stuck with either black or the new Alcantara keyboards. No more of the amazing teal or blue colors. No more red.

You don't need a screen protector. I have had pretty much all the Surface models and have never developed a scratch on any of them for the screen. However, the magnesium body does scratch fairly easily so if you're going to protect something, protect the body.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I don't think you need a screen protector unless you plan to be rough on the tablet. The Type Cover does a good job of protecting the screen when you're not using the tablet. Just keep it clean.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't there is gonna be new dock but there were talks about a new dongle that would give USB C capabilities.

I was hoping for a new dock with USB-C ports, because I won't be able to use the dongle while I'm connected to the dock (both use the Surface Connect port).

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
@astondg, @xtophe

Or get an adapter, male USB-A to female USB-C.

By the way, the old Surface Pro 3 docking station, which supports the tablet in an inclined position, works for the new Surface Pro, though you may need a positioning adapter to get the connector to mate properly. (You could also use folded strips of paper to position it.) You are not limited to the brick-like Surface Dock that was supplied for the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book. At Amazon the A-C adapters cost about $6 US.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss