Instant-On Feature

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
How is everybody's Instant-On working? Mine is hit and miss. If its been off for a short period of time it logs me in right away. I was actually surprised at how fast it was. But if I've been away for longer than 5 or so minutes it first goes to the white windows logo with the circular wheel spinning then to the lock screen and then logs in... not very Instant-On at all.
I've got the Core i5, 8 gigs of ram and 256 SSD.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I am having a similar issue with my i7. It appears to go into hibernate (hence the logo and spinning animation) after just a few minutes; When I checked the setting in advanced power settings it shows that it is supposed to go into hibernate after 360 minutes. So, it seems that this is a bug;

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Instant On? Tell me about this.

Every time mine goes to sleep, I hit the power button for it to come back on and I get the black screen with Windows 10 square... that goes for a while, and then the lock screen, and then Hello Windows fails (almost every time), and then I hit a few buttons and type in the PIN. This is not my definition of "instant"!

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I think it's not working 100% of the time, but when it does work it is quite "instant". Hopefully firmware update will help improve this and also solve the random sleep issues

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
My Windows Hello is solid and fast, only needed to use the PIN once.
I hope Microsoft fixes the Instant-On because when it works its super fast and works perfectly. Well I'm glad it seems like a bug instead of an issue with my Surface Pro, cause I love this thing.

Msolok

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
For those who are having issues with Instant On not working after putting the computer to sleep there is a quick fix to correct this. It seems the settings for Hibernate Time doesn't take until you go into the Old Power Settings screen, modify the Hibernate After time, apply the change, and then change it back to 360minutes (6 hours). Once you do this Instant On will work as expected within 6 hours of last using the device. Steps to make this change are:
- Click start and type in 'Power'
- From the list of options select 'Edit Power Plan'
- From the Window select the 'Change default settings for this plan'
- The Advanced Settings should now be open. Expand 'Sleep', 'Hibernate after'.
- Modify the On Battery option to be something other than 360, and the Plugged in to be something other than 0 and click apply.
- Change the settings back to 360 and 0 and click Apply again.

Instant On should now be working correctly. I've done it on mine and it is now QUICK to start up as long as it's been less than 6 hours or my Surface has been plugged in.
If you want the Instant On to be longer than 6 hours, adjust the On battery option to be higher. Just be aware that while in Connected Standby sleep and not Hibernated that there will be higher battery drain.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Last night I switched to the Fast Insider Ring to get the latest build (16237) and I'm happy to report that instant on seems to be working. This morning, I took my Surface Pro off the charger, through it in my bag, and three hours later when I arrived at my airport gate, it woke instantly from Sleep when I pushed the power button.

I'm not sure if the Surface Pro is intended to be able to wake from sleep when you open the cover or not, but this is not happening on mine. I'm not sure if this is something that I would want even if it was available because there is a high likelihood that it could open in my pack and turn on unintentionally.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, maybe I should take that back...the Instant On feature is working, but now the device does not go to sleep unless I specifically tell it to via closing the cover or pushing the power button. If I just leave it on and open, it will stay fully awake with the screen on even though power setting are set to turn off display after 5 minutes and to go to sleep after 10. :(

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the Type Cover actives wake/sleep. I believe you need to press the button. If they Type Cover was magnetic, I could perhaps see this as a feature, but it just kinda flops open or closed.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I don't think the Type Cover actives wake/sleep. I believe you need to press the button. If they Type Cover was magnetic, I could perhaps see this as a feature, but it just kinda flops open or closed.

I believe if you hit a key on the type cover it will wake, but not just opening the lid. So you don't have to hit the power button, just any key.

Ekhangel

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
My SP 2017 did wake after opening the "lid", but then an AnswerDesk guy reinstalled some drivers and re-imaged my device (thus fixing the auto-hibernate issue), and it does not work anymore. Shame really, because I liked the feature, and I hope it comes back with the updates to come.

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I spoke too soon. It is much better, but does not instantly turn on when left for a prolonged period of time. Like overnight. It worked great while it lasted...

EDIT:
I get all day Instant-On. seems the only time it needs to wake up with the windows logo and spinning wheel is at the start of a new day (which doesn't take long at all anyway) .... and i'm okay with that.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3