Do you guys have any backlight bleeding?

Stevie04

May 25, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys,
I recently got the new Surface Pro and I read that MS solved the backlight bleeding issue (which occured in Surface Pro 4) with the new Surface.
When I ran a display test I still noticed some minor backlight bleeding... so I just wanna know, do you guys have some backlight bleeding as well? Or did I get a bad Surface?

I'm probably not gonna return my Surface because of that, but I just wanna know whether I'm the only one with this or not.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I know every surface pro has it a bit of bleeding. When new it's noticeable. I use two first gen surface pro devices. On both I can see bleeding if I know where to look, but after a while in day to day use I don't notice it after a while.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I've seen some pictures of folks that have bad backlight bleed. I have none that I can notice. Just ran a test video and see nothing bleeding through at all. I have i5/8g/256g and bought it day after launch day from Microsoft Store.

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't notice any light bleed on mine. I pre-ordered my Surface Pro and received it on launch day. I have a Core i5, 8GB, 256GB.

Stevie04

May 25, 2017
Visit site
well I don't see the bleeding during normal usage too but when the screen is dark and the room I'm sitting in is dark as well I can see it a little. Did you guys try that as well?

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
well I don't see the bleeding during normal usage too but when the screen is dark and the room I'm sitting in is dark as well I can see it a little. Did you guys try that as well?

I ran a solid black video, with task bar hidden, so black on black... saw no evidence of any light bleed.

rmaximo2

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys,
I recently got the new Surface Pro and I read that MS solved the backlight bleeding issue (which occured in Surface Pro 4) with the new Surface.
When I ran a display test I still noticed some minor backlight bleeding... so I just wanna know, do you guys have some backlight bleeding as well? Or did I get a bad Surface?

I'm probably not gonna return my Surface because of that, but I just wanna know whether I'm the only one with this or not.

The new Surface Pros are afflicted with light bleeding, and this has been well documented. Check out, for example, these threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/6iji8k/surface_pro_2017_backlight_bleeding_survey/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/6i8lcz/backlight_bleeding_surface_pro_2017_i5_8gb/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/6ia9ow/so_2017_model_has_worse_backlight_bleeding_issue/

I've personally gone through two Surface Pros and both had horrendous backlight bleed at the bottom of the screen. Every SP on display at the store here where I live have it too. Some folks can't see it or refuse to acknowledge it.

After returning two, I've decided to wait a few months before trying again

Stevie04

May 25, 2017
Visit site
Do you find a black video to play? I had mine for about a week now, i7 model and would like to test it. Thank you.

well, you just have to finde a black wallpaper and set it to fullscreen mode.. then turn up the brightness to 100% and make sure your room is completely dark.

rmaximo2

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
This is the first model I bought. It's already been returned, along with a second model. I might just go 0/3. We'll see.

It's cute that the backlight bleed lines up nicely with the icons on the left--maybe it is a feature.

IMG_0014.jpg

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Here are some pics I took of my screen. If there is light bleed I don't notice it.

Attachments

• IMG_5444.JPG
    IMG_5444.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5443.JPG
    IMG_5443.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5441.JPG
    IMG_5441.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5440.JPG
    IMG_5440.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think its that big of a deal if there is some light bleed.
Is this something that will get worse as time goes on? That would only be the reason I would be concerned?

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't think that this is backlight bleed.
I am at a loss to explain why the Ctrl-alt-del brings a brighter blue at the base of the screen.
When booted into the full OS and run a light bleed test on YouTube I get very minimal light bleed if at all.
Trust me I am very anal and returned a S3 two times due to unacceptable light bleed.

I am not too fussed by this as it isn't experienced with general use.

rmaximo2

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
I honestly don't think that this is backlight bleed.
I am at a loss to explain why the Ctrl-alt-del brings a brighter blue at the base of the screen.
When booted into the full OS and run a light bleed test on YouTube I get very minimal light bleed if at all.
Trust me I am very anal and returned a S3 two times due to unacceptable light bleed.

I am not too fussed by this as it isn't experienced with general use.

I think people use the ctrl-alt-del screen as a frame of reference, but it is not limited to this screen alone. I.e., if someone shows you what it looks like on the ctrl+alt+del screen, you can compare it to others' panels on the same screen and see how bad it is. In the two models I've personally used—and in the other models I've seen at the Microsoft store here in Atlanta—the backlight bleed persisted throughout the OS. Start up screen, Windows 10 set-up screens, OneNote, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99