I want to upgrade from Surface Book to the new SP and I am trying to understand what is it called. Is it called 5, 2017, or just Surface Pro?
    But most important how can I make sure in a shop they are not trying to sell me a Surface Pro 4?
    07-17-2017 10:27 PM
    The latest and greatest is simply the new Surface Pro. One way to check, assuming you can turn on the device and check it out, is by going to Settings > System > About. Under Device Specifications, check if it has a 6th Gen processor (SP4) or 7th Gen (new SP) A 7th Gen processor will be labeled as i7-7xxx, for example i7-7500 which is on my PC. If that's not an option, check the physical design - the new SP has softer, slightly curved sides, whereas the SP4 has a straighter edge.
    Hope this helps!
    07-18-2017 12:21 AM
    Originally posted by leonelfunes32
    The latest and greatest is simply the new Surface Pro. One way to check, assuming you can turn on the device and check it out, is by going to Settings > System > About. Under Device Specifications, check if it has a 6th Gen processor (SP4) or 7th Gen (new SP) A 7th Gen processor will be labeled as i7-7xxx, for example i7-7500 which is on my PC. If that's not an option, check the physical design - the new SP has softer, slightly curved sides, whereas the SP4 has a straighter edge.
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks so much for the info!
    I am overseas and trying to order it on line, so I have no way to check it physically.
    Anyway please let me get this straight: my Surface Book's specifications are Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-6600CPU and it is 2 hears old, so are all older SurfacePros NOT i7 ? If so, what will they show there?
    Sorry hope It makes sense!
    07-18-2017 01:26 AM
    Thanks so much for the info!
    I am overseas and trying to order it on line, so I have no way to check it physically.
    Anyway please let me get this straight: my Surface Book's specifications are Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-6600CPU and it is 2 hears old, so are all older SurfacePros NOT i7 ? If so, what will they show there?
    Sorry hope It makes sense!
    There are different i7 chips, from different years...

What matters is what comes after the i7 - Your i7-6600 chip is a 6th Gen processor (17-6xxx). An i7-7500 is 7th Gen (i7-7xxx). This is just assuming you want an i7 processor. There are also m3 and i5 processors. But remember, the 4 digit number that comes after m3, i5, or i7 is what matters. 7xxx are newest.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-18-2017 02:45 AM
    There are different i7 chips, from different years...

What matters is what comes after the i7 - Your i7-6600 chip is a 6th Gen processor (17-6xxx). An i7-7500 is 7th Gen (i7-7xxx). This is just assuming you want an i7 processor. There are also m3 and i5 processors. But remember, the 4 digit number that comes after m3, i5, or i7 is what matters. 7xxx are newest.
    That is crystal clear then !!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS for the eye opener !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Leonel Funes likes this.
    07-18-2017 03:29 AM
    I don't understand this thread at all. If you can't see it in person, how the heck are you going to go into Device Manager and see what kind of CPU it is?

There are so many external ways to identify. The boxes are different. The SP4 has sharp angles whereas the SP has curved sides. If you have the ability to go into the Device Manager, you should be able to look at the outside of the machine
    07-18-2017 02:26 PM
    I don't understand this thread at all. If you can't see it in person, how the heck are you going to go into Device Manager and see what kind of CPU it is?

There are so many external ways to identify. The boxes are different. The SP4 has sharp angles whereas the SP has curved sides. If you have the ability to go into the Device Manager, you should be able to look at the outside of the machine
    It's not always obvious to everyone. Some times devices upgrade with very subtle physical changes... Some people want to see what the machine says as well.
    07-19-2017 05:19 PM

Walking up to one at Best Buy they look the same to me, I don't even notice this rounded corner thing, looks about identical to a SP3 or SP4 IMO.
    Leonel Funes likes this.
    07-19-2017 07:01 PM