Surface pro 2017

se4wp8

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought an SP2 - the latest was the 3rd machine. I had firmware and screen issues, and finally settled on something that lasted over 4 years. I still use it as a kitchen pc and the thing keeps on going - its a proper beast! Just got an SP17, am already on the 3rd through screen issues, but this thing seems like a keeper. It has no fan, can deal with anything I throw at it, and the battery is incomparable to previous versions. I get 8-10 hours!

williamjaco

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of replacing my desktop with a surface pro. What's the longevity of a surface I plan on using this for about 6-7 years for basic stuff web surfing Netflix and reading comics.

No one knows..... who plans on keeping something that can be handheld for 6-7 years?

Asbmor

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking of replacing my desktop with a surface pro. What's the longevity of a surface I plan on using this for about 6-7 years for basic stuff web surfing Netflix and reading comics.

I have had my Surface Pro 3 for ower 3 years and there is nothing wrong or any problems with it. The only thing wrong is the fact Microsoft has come with new and better once. There is nothing wrong with this one, but I would like some of the new features on the 4 ore dear I say 5 (seems more correct then "the new one" in some way)

I replaced my work laptop, home desktop and tablett with this one unite and I love it.

If there is one thing I would goe back and tell my self it is to buy it earlier and gett the one with 512Gb storage (256Gb is a bitt cramped when you take ower for 3 other unites)

On the question on will it last seven years I think I would answer: yes, if you take fysicly good care of it it will work wunderfull for 7 years.
But bee worn, the monster that is "want to upgrade" is a formidable foe that will make you annoyed with absoluttly any little think. Like me, the bezzel collects dust in my bag. Of cours it does, my bag is dirty.

Donald Simard

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

I have had a Surface Pro 3 for over three years. Unfortunately one morning, I noticed that the light on the power connector was no longer glowing. Since the SP3 was charged to 100% and I was catching a plane, I wasn't too concerned - I reasoned that the power brick might have gone south. I used it on the plane until it shutdown (LA to Baltimore flight). When I got home, I attached a different power cord to it and that light also didn't glow. Oh oh, I grew concerned....

I stopped by a Windows Store Kiosk (we have no big store nearby) and they too tried to see if there was anything they could do. Bottom line, it is dead Jim! They offered another SP3 replacement for $595 - I was hoping for a battery replacement for $200.

I have an HP Spectre 360 on the way right now. I think I will try that form factor and while it was much pricier than the SP3 replacement cost, it also has a 4K screen, twice the size SSD and a much newer processor.

My now dead SP3 showed no signs of anything being wrong with it...

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft isn't going to "repair" a Surface Pro at any time, because its glued together and likely impossible to repair.

It's neither impossible to repair not impossible to open. And Microsoft does have the machinery to do it. They simply prefer not to bother until the device is discontinued and even then they'll produce a batch of refurbished devices and if you pay them for repair they'll probably just replace it with a refurbished unit.

At any rate though, that's irrelevant. The relevant part is that: if it breaks and you're out of warranty, you'll go through Hell.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
It's neither impossible to repair not impossible to open. And Microsoft does have the machinery to do it. They simply prefer not to bother until the device is discontinued and even then they'll produce a batch of refurbished devices and if you pay them for repair they'll probably just replace it with a refurbished unit.

At any rate though, that's irrelevant. The relevant part is that: if it breaks and you're out of warranty, you'll go through Hell.

Well I have the 2 year long LAN and if it dies after that I'll be disappointed but not devastated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo