New Surface pen worth it?

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
So I lost my original Surface pen from my sp4. Haven't totally ruled out upgrading to a new Surface pro.

Is the new Surface pen worth the difference?

I'm no artist so the tilt doesn't do anything for me except that its cool.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I still don't have the new pen because it's not yet available in burgundy... :(

If the original pen didn't bother you, might as well buy it again because it's much cheaper. The new pen is $99. And you have to get the new Surface Pro 2017 to take full advantage of it. With the SP4, latency will improve after a firmware update (though no ETA for that update). But the latency still will not be as good as the new SP even after the firmware update. Tilt will also come with that firmware update if that update ever comes. It's unsure about whether the SP4 will get the increased pressure sensitivity that is on the new SP.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
So I lost my original Surface pen from my sp4. Haven't totally ruled out upgrading to a new Surface pro.

The latency of the new pen is lower, so it is a smoother inking experience. Whether its worth it is a personal choice. I went with the one and just bought silver since it is attached to the silver part of the nSP when stored.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
The latency of the new pen is lower, so it is a smoother inking experience. Whether its worth it is a personal choice. I went with the one and just bought silver since it is attached to the silver part of the nSP when stored.

Is the latency lower even when used on a SP4?

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought there was going to be some kind of firmware update for the SP4 that would let users take advantage of the new pen features, but I can't remember if that includes the lower latency.

I used to have the surface book and recently upgraded to the surface pro 2017. I only use it for notes and am not an artist but I do feel a noticeably smoother writing experience even if I can't visually tell the latency is lower.

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm just gonna say this about the coming "firmware update". We were told last November/December that the Surface Dial on-screen mode would come to the SP4 in a firmware update. That update never came. So they either STILL can't make it work right, or have zero intention of following through on that statement.

Because of this, I'm sitting on a Surface Dial that does everything except the ONE thing I actually bought it for.

I will absolutely not spend one cent on this new Surface Pen until the "firmware update" actually shows up. Microsoft can kiss my @$$ with that bait and switch tactic.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
My pen got caught on something while carrying my SP4 and came dislodged. It fell straight down on the tip and smashed it up a bit. It still works, but it bothers me. I could probably replace the tip with one of those kits, but the eraser button also doesn't work for opening apps or anything. It works fine for pairing, but not for opening things. Not sure if this is an issue with the pen or the software on the Surface. Either way I'm thinking of going ahead and getting the upgrade. The latency does actually bother me a bit when taking notes as I tend to write very, VERY quickly in meetings. I just wish I could find one for sale and in stock somewhere that wasn't even more ridiculously overpriced than it already is.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I still don't have the new pen because it's not yet available in burgundy... :(

If the original pen didn't bother you, might as well buy it again because it's much cheaper. The new pen is $99. And you have to get the new Surface Pro 2017 to take full advantage of it. With the SP4, latency will improve after a firmware update (though no ETA for that update). But the latency still will not be as good as the new SP even after the firmware update. Tilt will also come with that firmware update if that update ever comes. It's unsure about whether the SP4 will get the increased pressure sensitivity that is on the new SP.

Pressure sensitivity is a display issue, not a firmware issue. That requires the updated stylus panel in the new Pro display.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Honestly, I'd probably opt for the older pen if you can find it. It'll save you some money. The newer pen provides a far superior experience, but you don't get most of the benefits unless you have the new (incredibly awesome) Pro.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
So the best I could get is $55 for the older sp4 pen and $86 for open box on the new pen.

Worth the $30 difference?

I'm now starting to weigh future proofing too

Robert Paulsen

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue (could write, but not click to open OneNote) -- It has been a while, but I think all I did was remove the device from settings, replace the battery and re-pair it. Started working again.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Is the latency lower even when used on a SP4?

I emailed a couple Microsoft guys (Peter Bright at Arstechnica and the guy at AnandTech). They pretty much said the same thing.

The new pen will perform better than the old pen in terms of latency after a firmware update (no timeframe for when that firmware will be released) on the Surface Pro 4. But even after an update, the latency of the pen will still not be as low as the latency of the new pen when paired with the new Surface Pro. So if you demo the new pen on the new Surface Pro at the store and then buy it and go home and try it on your SP4, you might be a little disappointed.

Tilt will also supposedly come with the firmware update.

But they have no clue about whether the increased pressure sensitivity will ever reach the SP4.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm just gonna say this about the coming "firmware update". We were told last November/December that the Surface Dial on-screen mode would come to the SP4 in a firmware update. That update never came. So they either STILL can't make it work right, or have zero intention of following through on that statement.

Because of this, I'm sitting on a Surface Dial that does everything except the ONE thing I actually bought it for.

I will absolutely not spend one cent on this new Surface Pen until the "firmware update" actually shows up. Microsoft can kiss my @$$ with that bait and switch tactic.

Yes. I am always wary of promised updates. When you buy something, buy it because it fits your needs now. Don't buy it with the expectation that it will be updated to fit your needs. If it doesn't fit your needs now, just wait until it does and then buy it.

It's not something that just Microsoft does. All manufacturers promise upgrades, only to hold off improvements to their future models. I'm looking at you, Vizio and Samsung.

If you have the new Surface Pro, the new pen is a no-brainer. if you have a Surface Pro 4, you have a dilemma. I would save the money and get the SP4 pen. It also has a pen clip which is super useful for me because all my bags have loops for pens so I can store the Surface Pens without them falling into the bag. For some inexplicable reason, the new pens do not have the clip. The only useful reason to me is that now you can differentiate the SP4 pens from the new pens (as well as the different colors).

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I am not a big fan on the lack of pen clips. I just don't trust the magnets in a bag I don't care how strong they are they will still fall off.

M W7

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site

Hey I lost my other pen. I have the new surface pro. I bought the new pen and the speed is night and day. It's much easier to use and feels more natural. I really notice it in note but also when highlighting in Kindle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss