We now have three Surface 5 devices

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
With next to no issues.

Core i7 (8Gb)
Core i5 (8Gb)
Core M (4Gb)

The screen on the Core M did have some light bleed, when compared to the other two, but we're actually using them instead of finding things to complain about. When on, being used, we haven't actually noticed an issue.

I use the i7 for general admin tasks, light photo work, with a fan that I hardly ever hear. I cannot actually recall hearing it since the initial setup. the core i5 is a damn solid machine, a keeper, but I've not really spent any time with the Core M since the intial setup.

I love these machines and cannot actually think about using any other form factor. A Super solid keyboard might be nice.

Ekhangel

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Funny how the other day I posted a thread on another forum saying that I bought 3x SP 2017s (i5, m3, m3) and all of them had light bleed (in one case actually decolorizing buttons on the on-screen keyboard).

Also, two of the three devices had auto-hibernation issues (until updating firmware), and ALL of them have a problem with touch scroll getting laggy sometimes, which in all cases would get fixed after rebooting - clearly indicating it's a software issue. One unit had power leakage problem in sleep. Another actually froze and screwed up Windows initial configuration (no, it wasn't my fault), forcing me to re-image the device right after unboxing (!!!), because several users were created which I couldn't delete by any civilized means.

The very fact, however, that I bought three units (consecutively) means that I do like the device and do want to own it. I believe it's a truly unique and innovative machine, as evidenced by the many knock-offs appearing on the market. To say that there have been no problems with it, however, would surely be a lie.

Also, if you actually have two units without light bleed, post the pictures here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ht-bleed/78ced9ba-bf15-4420-b9c6-76ba24b19697

They won't believe it until they see it!

Ekhangel

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Funny how the other day I posted a thread on another forum saying that I bought 3x SP 2017s (i5, m3, m3) and all of them had light bleed (in one case actually decolorizing buttons on the on-screen keyboard). Two came from the same chain, and one came from the Netherlands.

Also, two of the three devices had auto-hibernation issues (until updating firmware), and ALL of them have a problem with touch scroll getting laggy sometimes, which in all cases would get fixed after rebooting - clearly indicating it's a software issue. One unit had power leakage problem in sleep. Another actually froze and screwed up Windows initial configuration (no, it wasn't my fault), forcing me to re-image the device right after unboxing (!!!), because several users were created which I couldn't delete by any civilized means.

The very fact, however, that I bought three units (consecutively) means that I do like the device and do want to own it. I believe it's a truly unique and innovative machine, as evidenced by the many knock-offs appearing on the market. To say that there have been no problems with it, however, would surely be a lie.

Also, if you actually have two units without light bleed, post the pictures here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ht-bleed/78ced9ba-bf15-4420-b9c6-76ba24b19697

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Not in the same league but we do have three Surface Pro's

SP4 i7 8G
SP3 i5 4G
SP1 i5 4G

The top two are me and the wife's main PC's, both with docking stations and getting used as tablets and desktops as per this thread:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/464686-2.htm#post3705637

The bottom one was destined to be a "Media" device in the kitchen but my boy has recently snaffled it and he and it is currently sitting in a ferry terminal in Aberdeen using it to stop the boredom of waiting for the evening ferry.

I have to say I would also struggle with another form factor to do what I want, yes laptops have great lapability, desktops are very adaptable, but then so is the Surface.

I still need a phone, and this is the weakness going forwards, will a Surface phone with a foldable screen take away from the Surface that we have now in the future, so you end up with just one device using multiple screens.

Last edited:

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The first thing I do is wipe the factory image and clean install. Every single time. It's then updated to an inch of its life and finally added to the domain. The MD sits there using his all day, email, the usual, with the i5 going to a sales guy. We actually purchased another Core M last week for the FD.

I actually disable hibernation as I know that there's issues with that. Never used it. These machines are fast enough to always shutdown and start again. ...Which means I've probably escaped a few issues. :)

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
To say that there have been no problems with it, however, would surely be a lie.

Re-read my post. I didn't say that they didn't have light bleed, "The screen on the Core M did have some light bleed, when compared to the other two,"

We have experienced NO issues with the 4 Surface 5 devices here. We're using them and they work. (Yes hibernation is disabled but that's disabled on every single machine in this building)

All of the devices have something going on at the bottom of the screen but it hasn't distracted from general use. The Core M model was far more notable that the others but I bet it'll never be mentioned by the person using it!

rmaximo2

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
All of the devices have something going on at the bottom of the screen but it hasn't distracted from general use. The Core M model was far more notable that the others but I bet it'll never be mentioned by the person using it![/FONT][/COLOR]

Some people are okay with paying thousands of dollars for a device that has "something going on at the bottom of the screen[.]" I'm definitely not!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3