Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
Hi guys, I am thinking to buy a SP m3 as my secondary computer for office tasks.
My only concern is that I usually use it on my lap when I am in the bed watching TV. I usually reply some emails.
How is the the lapability on the bed using the keyboard?
Thanks!!!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I am thinking to buy a SP m3 as my secondary computer for office tasks.
My only concern is that I usually use it on my lap when I am in the bed watching TV. I usually reply some emails.
Thanks!!!

I use a surface 3 and it's okay if you stretch out your legs straight - but sitting cross legged won't work

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you use it a lot on your lap with the keyboard for extended periods it isn't the best. Wife upgraded to a Surface laptop mainly for that reason (and slightly larger screen). If you are using it as a tablet its obviously not as big of an issue.

bardo77n

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't really use it on my lap because I usually use it as a tablet. The only time I use it like a laptop is if I'm seated at a table.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
it's horrible for using on a lap. it's a tablet or set on the desk unit. I'm not even happy on a plane because it requires too much surface area to be stable

slepr

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I have used my SP3 for almost 4 years and almost exclusively on my lap, like right now. Have never had any difficulty in using it this way. I also love the ability to just pull the keyboard off and use it as a tablet when I am not going to be doing much typing.

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I use it on my lap all the time. If your legs are crossed you don't need the kickstand, otherwise you just use the kickstand. I do prefer a mouse (Bluetooth) to the touchpad.

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!!!

Not as well as a real laptop. But it's good enough that my $2k Laptop hasn't been used in two years. Completely replaced by my SP3. The only time I last picked my laptop up was when I wanted to try a high end game that required the NVidia Video card it has.

I'm an engineer and I use SAP, AutoCAD, Office and Inventor on it

ZuneEtunes

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks!!!

If you are going to use on your lap for extended periods, it may not be the best choice. However, if you are going to use the SP in the manner in which I use mine, about <10% on your lap, the SP "kills" a laptop. Based on what I have seen, the vast majority of people use their laptops for the majority of the time on a "surface" other than their laps. Maybe they should be called Surfacetops, oh yes, Microsoft did just that! To sum things up, the SP has replaced my laptop. I have found far more ways and places to use it than I ever could with a laptop, of course, I am probably not a typical laptop user, or am I! All the best in your purchase decision. There will always be trade-offs, but if you do get the SP, you won't regret it.

cwc2311

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I bought a product called ProCase off of Amazon for my Surface Pro 4. It vastly improves easy of use in the lap, at least for me.

tboggs13

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I really think it depends on the length of your upper thigh and how you typically position a laptop. I find it acceptable in a standard sitting position in the chair with feet on floor, but if my upper thighs we're shorter it would be a problem. In a chair with legs stretched out in front on a table, no problem. With legs crossed, I put the kickstand over the crossed leg and it's stable. In bed, sitting up legs straight no problem. Ultimately, it's not as easy to use in any of those positions as a comparably sized laptop. However, if all you wanted was a laptop isn't that what you would purchase?

Mattemt294

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
Using it in bed especially in tablet mode is actually alot better than most tablets. Using it with a type cover while sitting is not as good in my opinion but sitting like that with any computer is uncomfortable.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!!!

I can use it fine on my lap. The new type covers that latch on the bezel make for a more stable typing experience. But reading between the lines I get the impression you really want a windows laptop device. I don't think the SP is the right choice for you then. I think if a tablet formfator and use is not your primary use function I would advice you to look at another device, such as a dell xps or surface laptop or surface book.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750