Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I love my SP 4. Use it on my lap but not a lot. Mainly because when I'm at home I use the Surface Keyboard with it and it's awesome because you can have the screen higher and the keyboard wherever u like. In bed, it fine because the doona/ blankets create a cushion and the stand makes it very stable. The flexibility of it overrides any stability issues IMO, but I'd like a SL and SB II for more intense use. As a secondary device it's perfect, although mine is my main device right now.

badtzbuzz

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Using an SP4, and it requires too many compromises to be considered lappable. I avoid it using it with the keyboard on the lap, but it's okay as a tablet on the couch.

Wan Firas

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I think the answer depends on how much you're willing to adapt to this in-between form factor. If you like doing things in the most practical way, you're better with a true laptop form. If you're adaptable to new possibilities to use your PC, then Surface Pro might offer you more though it comes with some trade-offs (like adapting to a slightly different posture while PC-ing in the bed, the need for extra surface for the kickstand to stand, a lil bit smaller screen compared to the good ol laptop, etc). Maybe a Brydge keyboard may improve the condition if you decide to buy the Surface Pro.

With a sling bag that is small enough to fit my SP4, ! have been using it in many new situations. Weekend commuting while sketching up new ideas or capturing inspiration with the Pen, laying in bed while scrolling through blogs and forums like right now, confirming orders when picking up items at print shops, sudden need to discuss something more serious that needs a PC while at a café with friends, making notes in talks & conferences, meetings as usual, small edits in Adobe programs while waiting in the car, making drafts in MS Office while another waiting, and so much more. Yes, I'm quite workaholic. Or better viewed as new productivity because I have successfully turn the hours on social media to something more productive.

davo_svk

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm using it on my lap very often, and its much better than common laptop, because it wont get warm at keyboard part like common laptops.. cuz it has all components in the screen. Also its very stable.

Kevin Cocquyt

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
No issues at all using it in my lap. Even lying down in my bed... Only bullet I dodged was on the first day, standing up from my couch, grabbing the device by its keyboard (laptop style). Luckily, the keyboard had such strong magnets (at least the 2017 one), it didn't fell on the ground, maybe shattering it.

alanSJ

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, I am thinking to buy a SP m3 as my secondary computer for office tasks.
My only concern is that I usually use it on my lap when I am in the bed watching TV. I usually reply some emails.
How is the the lapability on the bed using the keyboard?
Thanks!!!

I agree with most of the comments here. If you need a device to use on your lap most of the the time, get a conventional laptop. I have a SP4 and love it. It can be used on your lap in a pinch, but it's definitely not as comfortable as a conventional laptop.

ddn123

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
easily

Hi guys, I am thinking to buy a SP m3 as my secondary computer for office tasks.
My only concern is that I usually use it on my lap when I am in the bed watching TV. I usually reply some emails.
Thanks!!!

Yes, the SP is easy to use in your lap. I use mine all the time. In fact I have given up on my larger 15.6 laptop. I bought the Surface Dock and a larger screen (27" 4k screen) and wireless mouse and keyboard for both my home and office. All I carry is the SP.

hamidparham

May 8, 2015
Visit site
For me the most annoying part of the on-the-lap position is the viewing angle. Your laps will be fine, your neck however is at stake here! You'd want to put something on your lap to create some height, otherwise you'd have to look down at the screen which will go hard on your neck after a while. Typing this reply on my SP4 on a pillow on my lap right now... 😁🤓

leviathan18

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!!!

My SP4 cracked screen says NOPE if you are sitting in a chair and put it on your lap, lying in bed non issue

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I use mine in tablet form multiple times daily, mostly sitting on the couch surfing the web. Its not the most comfortable in the lap with keyboard, but i don't have any issues using it that way. When i need to do some serious work, i attach the type cover and use my surface arc mouse. For me, its the best dame tablet/laptop I've owned and would buy another one when the time comes in a heartbeat.

scarfinv

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!!!

I use it in my lap 95% of the time. Mind you, I'm in a recliner with my feet up, so that helps with keeping it at an appropriate height that works with my progressive glasses. 🙂

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I also use my Surface Pro 2017 in all the situations that I would use a traditional laptop. Probably 95% of the scenarios are the same. And my goodies don't get all warm and toasty like with a regular laptop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)