Tablet Mode Virtual Keyboard Issues

rchapman80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So this just started after the most recent update. Whenever I'm in tablet mode on my Surface Pro (2017) i5, 8GB, 256GB and I do something as click on a new tab in chrome the onscreen keyboard will pop up. If I switch to a previously open tab, again the onscreen keyboard will automatically pop up. This also happens if I click on the windows icon in the lower left. I don't want it popping up when I'm not wanting to type. It's just getting in the way. It never behaved like this.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Seems to be a chrome issue.

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I came on the forum today to post the exact same question. The exact same is happening to me and its very annoying. When i'm on edge, no issues, but I use chrome 99.9% of the time and keyboard constantly pops up every time you tap anywhere on the screen. As above this stated happening with the April update. I have the exact same Surface Pro configuration as the OP too.

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Well guess what I did. I was thinking about deleting chrome and reinstalling but i didn't go that far. What I did was go into my chrome settings and reset everything thing to default. I signed out of chrome and said yes to delete all content and settings, then I signed back in. Did a reboot and now chrome is acting properly. Keyboard only comes up when its supposed to. Hope this "fix" works for everybody else.

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I spoke too soon. It's definitely better. Only brings up the keyboard on MSN's site now. Go figure thats a Microsoft website.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
My wife was complaining about this last night. She'll be pleased to know it's not just her. I saw a suggestion that you can disable the "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting" service.

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
How do you disable the virtual keyboard and just activate it by hitting the keyboard button in the task bar. This is getting annoying now popping up all the time when it shouldn't be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss