Can't install 1803 April Update at all (nor reinstall)

Henrik Becker

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
My brand new i5/8GB/128SSD Surface Pro won't install the new 1803 update. The initial error I got was 0x0000005. There was another error later that I forgot to jot down (there was a 9 in there).

Things I've tried:

- Create a boot USB and do a clean reinstall. When I tell Windows to restart using USB through Settings > Recovery, it doesn't boot from the USB, but just restarts but goes straight the login screen. I

- Fresh start through Settings > Recovery.

- Reset + wipe through Settings.

- I've tried running setup.exe from the USB drive. All it will do is download the update again (which is weird, shouldn't it be on the USB drive I just created with Media Creation Tool?) and error on me.

I'm utterly lost as to why this is happening.

I should also mention that when I first started using the device it felt sluggish. Whenever I opened something, switched a tab or even started typing, there was a slight delay. It feels like the many reinstalls might have fixed that.

In any case, if anyone knows what's up, I'd love to hear it!

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
My brand new i5/8GB/128SSD Surface Pro won't install the new 1803 update. The initial error I got was 0x0000005. There was another error later that I forgot to jot down (there was a 9 in there).

Things I've tried:

- Create a boot USB and do a clean reinstall. When I tell Windows to restart using USB through Settings > Recovery, it doesn't boot from the USB, but just restarts but goes straight the login screen. I

- Fresh start through Settings > Recovery.

- Reset + wipe through Settings.

- I've tried running setup.exe from the USB drive. All it will do is download the update again (which is weird, shouldn't it be on the USB drive I just created with Media Creation Tool?) and error on me.

I'm utterly lost as to why this is happening.

I should also mention that when I first started using the device it felt sluggish. Whenever I opened something, switched a tab or even started typing, there was a slight delay. It feels like the many reinstalls might have fixed that.

In any case, if anyone knows what's up, I'd love to hear it!

Start, by saying I’m not an IT guy. I finally got 1803 to install by loading all other updates first. Completely shutting down laptop between each update. Finally, when 1803 was only update left, it took another shutdown, downloaded and finally installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills