First Impressions on Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree the price is insane and you can get one hell of a windows laptop for that price or save a 1000-1500 and get Lenovo or HP, or hell even a pro or pro2 but to compare price to an iPad is stupid because is ment to compete with the Mac air and Mac pro.
The price isn't that insane when you consider how light and thin it is. That's not easy to do.
With that said... if they had a thicker alternative for significantly less money, I'd probably buy that. LoL

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I intend to use the tablet for business presentations & other business functions. One function would require an android app downloadable on Google play. If Surface Pro 3 does not easily enable running an Android App then I must purchase an Android tablet (like Nexus 7). Comments?
It's a full blown laptop computer. Are you sure that there isn't better and more powerful software that will let you do the same thing already?
Normally these "apps" are there to fill in for some sort of ability that computers already have.

Last edited:

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
The price isn't that insane when you consider how light and thin it is. That's not easy to do.
With that said... if they had a thicker alternative for significantly less money, I'd probably buy that. LoL

I still say the pro 2 is a better deal at this point, hell if you don't need x86 the surface 2 is the best option, and if you don't need crazy power the OG pro for half a whole thing is the best deal by far if you wanna stay with MS.

By the time you add the power keyboard your at untrabook/laptop weight and size anyways.

rurutia

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I still say the pro 2 is a better deal at this point, hell if you don't need x86 the surface 2 is the best option, and if you don't need crazy power the OG pro for half a whole thing is the best deal by far if you wanna stay with MS.

Can you give a comparable option that is cheaper? I don't know if you missed my reply to you earlier or not, but I'm just not seeing it. Even the Surface Pro 2 is not really better...

Amazon.com : Microsoft Surface Pro 2 7EX-00001 Tablet (Intel Core i5 processor, 8 GB ram, 256GB storage, Windows 8.1 Pro ) : Tablet Computers : Electronics

Buy the new 12-inch Surface Pro 3

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
yeah, but that's the way it is with everything! A new iPhone every year. A new iPad every year, a new something every year. And this conversation goes on in each and every forum.

I own every Zune, almost every Windows Phone, and had a fair lineup of androids, especially with the Razr's . But I wanted it so I got it.

I got the RT, the SP1, the SP2 and ordered the SP3 last night. I already have the money for the SP4 in the bank and will order it when it comes out...next month, or next year. Its all about choices. You make one, and live with it. If you have to think about it....then you don't order it. And you live with 'that' choice.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Where are people seeing these crazy deals? I just did a pre-order for the Surface Pro 3 (with education discount including the Touch Cover and Arc mouse) and I can get it for ~1350 using the i5 256gig SSD and 8gig ram configuration. I'm looking at my school's special deal with Lenovo Yoga, the same configuration but with 500 gig HD and 16gig SSD is $1597? That doesn't seem like a deal to me.

256 GB and 500GB in SSD world are a huge difference, in price. Yoga has a QHD display with a much higher resolution, too. They are not exactly the same. As to prices, i don't know if i am doing something wrong but Lenovo US shows different prices. Lenovo Taiwan, too Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Multimode Ultrabook | Multimode Laptops & Ultrabooks | Lenovo (US)
Substantially, we can say Surface 3 compared to this is coming out already with inferior specs (not outdated, just inferior) at a much higher price. If you wait a couple of months you'll get your Surface 3 much cheaper. My 2 cents.

rurutia

May 21, 2014
Visit site
256 GB and 500GB in SSD world are a huge difference, in price. Yoga has a QHD display with a much higher resolution, too. They are not exactly the same. As to prices, i don't know if i am doing something wrong but Lenovo US shows different prices. Lenovo Taiwan, too Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Multimode Ultrabook | Multimode Laptops & Ultrabooks | Lenovo (US)
Substantially, we can say Surface 3 compared to this is coming out already with inferior specs (not outdated, just inferior) at a much higher price. If you wait a couple of months you'll get your Surface 3 much cheaper. My 2 cents.

You misread. 500HD with 16SSD, not 500SSD, so the Yoga I was talking about is worse.

Your link does have it for cheaper though not significantly (~$100). And they're obviously not completely comparable, we're talking basic specs and not form factor (although that Yoga is the old 4200U not the 4300U used in the Surface Pro 3). I agree that waiting is usually the best bet for lowered prices, but that's always the case. :) My main issue with the current iteration is that Broadwell could be just around the corner and it's going to be a big step up. This iteration isn't even using the latest Haswell refresh. But considering how much effort they put into slimming it down, I imagine there's a reason and perhaps the Surface Pro will just be that much behind.

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing that many seem to be overlooking when comparing ANYTHING to what Apple is offering. Those who are not fans of Apple have for years been claiming that Apple sells overpriced boutique devices that cater to an image than to actual value.

Now Microsoft comes out and is selling something that supposedly competes with Apple that is MORE expensive than Apple's offering. So now Microsoft fans are claiming that what Microsoft is offering is a good value? That's a hard sell... not because of what Microsoft is delivering but because of the impression formed that Apple is overpriced.

Where Microsoft is stumbling is that they think they can immediately jump into the boutique arena and compete with Apple. It didn't happen for Apple over night. Releasing the Pro 3 6 months after the Pro 2 tells me that Microsoft is impatient. There's no shortcut to longevity and a track record.

well i really can't speak for those people because as I've already implied I don't see anyone else coming close to the battery life and build quality that Apple (traditionally) and now Microsoft (learning from them) offer. I mean look at the latest thinkpad; 6 hours battery life (for me) is an absolute non-starter, even though the device is quite gorgeous!

but i would argue microsoft doesn't really care about those people; if you were unwilling to shell out for an apple product before you're probably already using windows. what they're targeting is exactly the demographic that would've previously gone for a MBA or pro.

I do completely agree with you that Microsoft doesn't really seem to be willing to pay its dues though, and I definitely felt a lot of anger and frustration coming from Panos Panay in the presentation; obviously for him microsoft is a completely different company than to average users that still associate it with apple's 'i'm a mac' ads and he seems pissed off that people's perceptions seem slow to change (which btw was a very unattractive aspect of the presentation).

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, he seemed in a weird state while doing that presentation.

Probably just frustrated that such a great device is not selling better. From hands on experience I can tell you the Surface Pro 2 is amazing. I cringed at the price when I got it, but now it's glued to me like my WP. I can't imagine having to use a laptop again. All that extra weight, bulk, crappy battery life, lack of touchscreen, etc.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, he seemed in a weird state while doing that presentation.

Probably just frustrated that such a great device is not selling better. From hands on experience I can tell you the Surface Pro 2 is amazing. I cringed at the price when I got it, but now it's glued to me like my WP. I can't imagine having to use a laptop again. All that extra weight, bulk, crappy battery life, lack of touchscreen, etc.
What extra weight? Man if yall can't lift a laptop maybe yall money should go towards gym memberships instead of technology.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
You misread. 500HD with 16SSD, not 500SSD, so the Yoga I was talking about is worse.

Your link does have it for cheaper though not significantly (~$100). And they're obviously not completely comparable, we're talking basic specs and not form factor (although that Yoga is the old 4200U not the 4300U used in the Surface Pro 3). I agree that waiting is usually the best bet for lowered prices, but that's always the case. :) My main issue with the current iteration is that Broadwell could be just around the corner and it's going to be a big step up. This iteration isn't even using the latest Haswell refresh. But considering how much effort they put into slimming it down, I imagine there's a reason and perhaps the Surface Pro will just be that much behind.

Uhps sorry for the misreading. My bad! However the rest stands for me. Also, i forgot to add i was looking at the top model (1900USD). In that range you find a lot of stuff that's better. I tried SF2 and it's not bad. However for me A) Screen is too small beyond tablet and generic reading for long hours and B) Keyboard is not so comfortable. My GF has a Yoga Pro 2 and those few inches + the IBM/Lenovo keyboard is really a joy to use. A concept i don't share much is that of Asus Transformer. There is something about all those items (stick the mobile phone on the back of the display, then attach the keyboard etc) that makes me think the whole thing is A) Annoying and unpractical and B) no long lasting (All that connect, disconnect is bound to cause issues relatively sooner than an integrated device. However, SF3 looks like a really nice and complete device. I don't know one single person around me using one of those who is unhappy about them. That must mean something. Price aside, i am really happy SF3 is going to raise the standard.

co4nd

May 18, 2014
Visit site
To me the SP3 has the same problem as the SP2. My Laptop is way more powerful and my iPad is way more portable. The surface pro seems to try and bridge these but for me the compromise is to much. Carrying both the laptop and the iPad isn't a big enough problem to live without the power my laptop packs.

I was really hoping for an 8 inch Windows RT device.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Where is the Pink TypeCover for women. The Cyan and the Pink are the most common covers that I've seen out and about. All the cover choices are dark and manly. My girl isn't going to be excited by any of those selections. Maybe I can get by getting her the purple, but even that's pretty dark.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I still use the hell out of my Surface Pro 2 and would pick up one of these if I didn't already have it.

It easily replaced my work and home laptops and I carry it to every meeting I attend.

My one real ding on the Surface tablets is pricing. They are very well made and the form factor is amazing, but the price is a real barrier. I don't recommend them to coworkers due to the price, though a couple have picked them up just from watching me use it on a regular basis despite my warning that the price is a little crazy.

That being said, I see Microsoft making some real progress in market share as the Surface series of tablets continues to improve.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Can you put in some effort and actually link to it? You're throwing claims all over the place, I've already stated specific examples of where I thought you were wrong.

edit: Closest I found is Amazon.com : HP Pavilion 13.3 Touchscreen ultrabook tablet laptop 2 in 1 Intel Core i5-4202Y 4gb ram 128 GB SSD black : Computers & Accessories

You can get also this Amazon.com : Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro 13.3-Inch Convertible 2 in 1 Touchscreen Ultrabook (59386391) Silver : Laptop Computers : Electronics
Bigger screen, better processor etc etc. same convertible performances (I used both SF 2 and YP2).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium